Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Geology Professor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Senior seeking residence in France
    I am an elderly retired American Geology Professor living in Paris. I need a new place to live, but I don't speak french very well. Does anyone know of a retirement home, or another form of living arrangement anywhere in France where other english speaking people live? I desperately need some friends. :-(
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Why would you choose to live in France? Just curious on that one. Maybe you need to consider moving to England or back to the USA.

Apr 27, 2008, 05:45 AM
    I am covered by french health care for very expencive medicine and have no insurance in the US. I have my competent doctors here along with some of the best hostpitals in the world. I have a son and a wife here, though neither seem to be interested in my well-being, that's why I'm looking for friends and another place to live. Would love for the last few years of my life to be happy ones!
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 08:42 AM
    OK, but considering the cost of living in France and Paris especially it just seems hard to imagine that it is less expensive than living back home and paying for health insurance. I am probably wrong on that but since you have family there I can kind of see your point, but as you said, they don't have much interest in you, so why stick around? Again you might check out England or do a web search for expat communities in France. Good luck in your search.

Apr 28, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts. I hardly think anyone would be interested in insuring someone over 80 on life-supporting medicine. A big move is a bit past me and no luck finding expats my age. I was just looking for others in the same boat. Let me know if you should come across anything of interest.
    strmakr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I wish I were in your shoes, because I am a retired American on Medicare. I married a young Frenchman about a year ago and he wants us to move to France. He thinks I'll be covered by French medical insurance as his spouse. However, I understand that I need to obtain a long term Visa from the French Consulate in Los Angeles.. . They require that I have health insurance, which at my age costs over $10K with a $5K deductable. I also have a history of breast cancer and heart surgery so perhaps the cost is even higher! Do you know if I am eligible for health coverage? I'm willing to pay for my own medication and doctor's visits.. . And have no intention of being hospitalized again! Maybe you have some answers for me. If not, I do speak your language and am in a similar age bracket. Talk to me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Residence [ 1 Answers ]

My son's mother and I are not married and live apart. We had our son in Michigan and now live in Tennesse. She will not tell me where my son lives currently. Can she do this?

A Qualified Residence [ 7 Answers ]

For the purpose of computing the deductin for a qualified residience interest. Could my principal residence and one other residence owned by me or by my wife, be considered as a qualified residence or not?

Different places of residence [ 13 Answers ]

I was having a lovely chat with some people about our different places of residence, and the person that started the topic withdrew it! How annoying!

F1 --> H1 Non-residence or Residence [ 1 Answers ]

I came to the US in summer 2004 as an F1(citizen of China), finished an MS in May 2006, started a job on OPT in July and my H1 began on October 2006. I am not sure whether I should file the Federal tax as a Non-residence or a residence for the tax year 2006? Thank you

View more questions Search