Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Stop skin picking!
    Does anybody know of any tips on how to stop picking the skin around my fingers and my head? Half the time I don't even notice I'm doing it. I work in a lab and it's not particularly safe to have broken skin working with the pathogens and chemicals.

It started when I was around six and it comes and goes. It's pretty bad at the moment, although it has been worse - I had a bald patch for a while! It is also fairly embarrassing to have minky fingers when you are trying to appear professional.

So has anyone overcome this problem? If so how?

Thanks in advance
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 6, 2007, 01:56 PM
    You are probably opening yourself up to various infections by having lesions on your fingers, and maybe on your head, if they are airborne pathogens.

How can you be working in a lab, what kind of lab, with sore fingers and wounds. Explain yourself and go see a doctor and get checked out.

You are probably endangering other people as well.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Don't worry I am definatley only endangering myself! I work in a molecular biology/biochemistry lab, no human products etc purely research based.
    I understand it is a problem that's why I'm seeking any advice on how to stop.
    EDIT
    In all the years I've had this problem I have never once gotten an infection, I am very careful once I realise I've done it. It just concerns me that it does open up the possibility.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Maybe something in your gloves to help you be aware that you don't want to do this, something that would make your skin hurt if opened, not to infect it, just make it uncomfortable when you do,like training yourself NOT to do it.( I am assuming you wear gloves for the type of work you do)
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:25 AM
    I don't tend to do it at work, I have gotten 70% ethanol on my fingers and I'll tell you now that stings! I used to wear nail varnish and I'd pick that instead but I'm not sure how long it would stay on when I'm sloshing around acetic acid (aka nail varnish remover).

As for gloves I don't wear them that much, it is generally discourage except when necessary due to the chances of developing contact dermatitis, which can be more damaging than the small chance of irritation by the chemicals. Generally speaking it is not a hazardous lab.

It's weird when I do it I don't feel it at all, not until I notice then it really stings. I've looked around the internet and I think I have a variant of trichotillomania. I know it's not technically hair pulling but I think it's a similar thing. So if anyone has managed to overcome that I would like to know how. :)

To tell the truth the fingers have never bothered me that much I'm just upset about starting on my head again - I don't want to go bald! Also I notice if I pick at my fingers sooner as they are right in front of me, so have a little bit more control.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:29 PM
    The concept behind shock therapy was to make the patient aware of the returning mental action and reinforce that action with pain(see Ivan Pavlov theory on dogs) conditional stimulus/unconditional stimulus.

Aversion therapy is a possible treatment, if you are interested.

Ken

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my boss picking on me? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, last week I was at work and I got a phone call, something came up and I ended up leaving only a half hour early. I left my boss a note telling him I left early because of a personal emergency back home that I had to tend to ASAP. The next day, he calls me up to find out what the "personal...

Stop lightening Skin [ 8 Answers ]

It seem like lightening up is an addiction for darker skinned people. You don't hear of light skinned people trying or even wanting to darken up, so why must dark skinned people be hypnotized by societies perspective of beautiful when we know damn well that society is predominantly white and...

Picking loosers [ 7 Answers ]

Why would my daughter pick guys that are loosers? They have emotional problems and are emo or gothic or satanist. She says she is emo.

Picking fruit [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know when a watermelon is ready for piching?

I need help with picking a dress. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a sophomore and I am going to my boyfriends schools semi-formal winter carnival dance. I don't want to be to dressed up since I don't know many of the people there. I am 5' 4", brownish hair, brown eyes, freckles, and kind of tan but not really. And I like darker colors. I also am not looking...

View more questions Search