Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gifa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Losing job, Changing Careers, going back to school, cashing 401K
    Hi

Due to corporate downsizing, I will likely not have a job much past the first of the year and I don't expect any severence out of the deal either. I have been an exemplary employee for 7 years, but I know when the game is over. So, because of a large and cumbersome non-compete contract I will be signing upon my "resignation", it is necessary that I change careers entirely as there is no place I could continue being a designer without competing or moving to another state... and I am not interested in moving because my husband has a good job here already.

So, I have decided to salvage my Bachelor's of Fine Art, and get a masters in Art Education to make a life for myself as an Art Teacher.

Sadly, I have decided to accept the penalties and cash out my 401K to cover school, debts and living expenses in the interim.

I'm 31, so, I am feeling urgent about making this change now, vs later because I feel that by the time I am 35, I will be back in the 401K game and I can recover my losses over time with higher contributions.

But I am wondering if there is anything I am missing. Are there options I haven't thought about, or don't know about that I might be eligible for that might be a better fit for me?

Somebody mentioned changing the number of dependants I can claim on my w2 to the maximum, to minimize loss... I'm not sure I buy it... I am currently married filing single 0.

I've read about IRAs... but I don't understand it fully.

I've read about annual payments... but I don't understand that fully either.

I also have a cash balance pension. Can I cash that out as well?

Again, I am 31 years old.
    My current 401K balance is $41,500
    My current Cash Balance is $8,500

Any help, info or links to pertinent info is appreciated!
    Hope to hear from you soon, thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2007, 09:53 AM
    There is an exception to the 10% penalty for tuition expenses. But that's only for the coming 12 months. So I suggest that instead of withdrawing the whole amount, you withdraw just what you need for the year. You will still have to pay taxes on it, but if you are not working, your tax liability will be lower.

Forget the number of dependents issue that only affect withholding from salary. I would also leave the pension alone.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2007, 10:24 AM
    I don' understand why you would be signing a non-compete as you're being led out the door. If there was a juicy severance package for you that would be one thing, but since there isn't - why would you agree to sign it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out a 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I am a 38 year old married mother of three who lives in virginia-this info is purely for information purposes. I am leaving my job and need to figure out what to do with my small 401K. I have a loan that was taken out for part of a deposit on our house. My situation is this: I...

Quitting Job & Cashing In 401k [ 11 Answers ]

Here's my situation: I'm 40 years old, I have roughly $140,000 in my 401K including $16,000 left to pay on a 401k loan. I have an oppourtunity to open my own business and want to quit my job of 16 years and cash in my 401k to use as capitol. How Much would I lose in penalties and interest?...

401k, quitting job at 49, want to go to school [ 1 Answers ]

I work a rotating shift job (days to nights every 2 weeks) with my husband that is affecting my health after 8 years. I have a 401k, (30,000) that I think I should roll over to an IRA, my husband wants me to pay off my truck (18,000) with the 401k and take some time off. I want to take courses...

Cashing in 401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have major amounts of debt. I am currently looking towards relocation. My question is.. If I cash out my 401k what is the penalty? Do I pay taxes on it upfront or at the end of the year? I declared bankrupcty once and unable to do it again. Lately this seems like me only other option. Any info...

Cashing out 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving to Australia from the US next year and wish to cash out my 401k. What penalties would I pay. I am not retirement age.

View more questions Search