Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bryden1401 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2007, 07:35 AM
    What is the difference in Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy
    How does that work cause if my settlements end up in a judge emtn that might be my only option can't afford for ym account to be seized or can't feed my kids or pay the few bills I pay now that would just be making a bigger problem.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
    The one they consolidate and you can make payments.
    A chapter 13 bankruptcy is also called a wage earner's plan. It enables individuals with regular income to develop a plan to repay all or part of their debts. Under this chapter, debtors propose a repayment plan to make installments to creditors over three to five years. If the debtor's current monthly income is less than the applicable state median, the plan will be for three years unless the court approves a longer period "for cause." (1) If the debtor's current monthly income is greater than the applicable state media

Chapter 7 they let you keep some of your stuff and not other stuff. They have it broke down in dollar amounts according to house, car, and other items. Chapter 7 bankruptcy case does not involve the filing of a plan of repayment as in chapter 13. Instead, the bankruptcy trustee gathers and sells the debtor's nonexempt assets and uses the proceeds of such assets to pay holders of claims (creditors) in accordance with the provisions of the Bankruptcy Code. Part of the debtor's property may be subject to liens and mortgages that pledge the property to other creditors. In addition, the Bankruptcy Code will allow the debtor to keep certain "exempt" property; but a trustee will liquidate the debtor's remaining assets. Accordingly, potential debtors should realize that the filing of a petition under chapter 7 may result in the loss of property.

Chapter 7 - Bankruptcy Basics

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

If you are in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy making payments, can you withdraw from your 401 k plan to pay this off in full. What is the penalty for doing this as far as IRS is concerned?

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Can I contribute to my 401K after filing Chapter 13 bankrupcty?

Chapter 13 bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

May Have To Do A Chapetr 13 To Safe My House I Have Spoken To A Lawyer About All This But What Gets Me Is I Still Have To Pay My 1500.00 Morg Which I Just Can't Do And That's What Got Me Into This Mess In The First Place. We Have Been In This House 10 Years Now And Did A Refi 4 Years Ago.it...

Bankruptcy (Chapter 7) Do it yourself? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, newbie here. Here's my 'story' and I have several questions... I am a single mom with a ton of debt. Thankfully, NONE of this is credit cards or the like. It is 80% medical bills, and the other 20% is unpaid utilities and bank fees from overdraft accounts. I have called several of...

View more questions Search