Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjlamkin Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Nov 16, 2005, 11:32 AM
    Sony Vaio PCG-K27 Bios Problem
    I am having an issue with my notebook. I forgot the password that I put on it a year ago when I bought it. I need to know either how to remove this password, or what tools are needed to remove it. I am willing to take it to a service center, but I cannot afford to send it to the Sony facility in San Diego.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 16, 2005, 11:54 AM
    Is it just the bios that you can't get into or the laptop too? I also have a Vaio and I never put a password on, I use a tracking program to find it if stolen, but nobody else uses mine, so I don't password it. Try looking for your documentation, maybe you wrote it down somewhere with the package it came in. Hope you get it working again. A sony technician at a shop should be able to get in the 'back door' and install a newer bios for you. Try that first before sending it to Sony.

Good Luck.

Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 16, 2005, 12:07 PM
    Worth a look...
    But being a laptop, whatever you choose is going to mean yo uhave to open it up:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-1032878.html

If you are not comfortable with doing this then its time to get the green backs out. :(

Sorry about that.

My recommendation is pay a company then at least you can kick their asses when it goes wrong.
    kjlamkin Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Nov 16, 2005, 12:51 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions and quick response. I am unable to get into the bios only, I can log onto the computer. For some reason at the time it seemed a good idea to password protect the bios. Unfortunately I didn't write it down from what I can remember. I will try what you have said.

You wouldn't happen to know if there is a place in Michigan that works on Sony?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 17, 2005, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlamkin
    Thanks for the suggestions and quick response. I am unable to get into the bios only, i can log onto the computer. For some reason at the time it seemed a good idea to password protect the bios. Unfortunately I didn't write it down from what I can remember. I will try what you have said.

You wouldn't happen to know if there is a place in Michigan that works on Sony?
    Go to the Sony site, and have your model, serial, and other numbers available, they will also have the latest drivers and updates for you to download there. Maybe even a new bios... but make sure you read all the documentation when downloading. Then check the yellow pages for sony vaio products in your area, if they sell them, they should have a rep. tech come by at least once a week. Good Luck.
    WhoaMan Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Dec 1, 2005, 09:17 PM
    hey, I recently had this problem with a pcg-z505je. The pcg-z505je has no floppy or cdrom. Someone set a bios password and did not remember it. Rather than having sony replace the bios (expensive ness) or buying a replacement from another source, I downloaded winphlash (the windows updater for the phoenix bioses) and made a backup of the current bios... then I re-burnt the backup to the Flash ROM... but here's the key... under advanced settings tell it to change the CMOS checksum. This will make the cmos settings invalid... invalid cmos settings = default values loaded... deafault values = no password.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 2, 2005, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoaMan
    hey, i recently had this problem with a pcg-z505je. the pcg-z505je has no floppy or cdrom. someone set a bios password and did not remember it. rather than having sony replace the bios (expensive ness) or buying a replacement from another source, i downloaded winphlash (the windows updater for the phoenix bioses) and made a backup of the current bios... then i re-burnt the backup to the Flash ROM... but heres the key... under advanced settings tell it to change the CMOS checksum. this will make the cmos settings invalid.... invalid cmos settings = default values loaded.... deafault values = no password.
    This sounds all well and good, but for those of us who don't know how to do this, could you please explain how step by step, it would be really helpful, thanks... Getting the new drivers and bios from the Sony site did not cost anything, as long as the equipment is registered and you have all the applicable information they request, you download it for free, with instructions and precautions on how it's to be done,
    But if this is no longer possible, your step by step instructions would suffice.

Dec 2, 2005, 01:46 PM
    I will take some screenshots of the process and setup a simple webpage as a guide how to do it. I will link to it after it is done :)

Dec 2, 2005, 08:03 PM
    All right, here is the guide I have made http://elazulspad.net/eric/phoenixbios.html
    :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 2, 2005, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoaMan
    alright, here is the guide i have made http://elazulspad.net/eric/phoenixbios.html
    :)
    Excuse, made mistake in rating meant PCG GRT240Z Sony Vaio,
    The only thing I could not find yet, after having to reformat and reinstall all drivers is the TV card driver and channel and volume control drivers. Any advice? The controls for sound and channel are right under the finger(mouse)pad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with Picture Package - SONY Handycam [ 1 Answers ]

Mine is SONY TRV285 E digitial camcorder. I have shooted video and am using the PIXELA PACKAGE SW which was provided by SONY corporation. It is capturing the video and audio (Master) and saving in from of AVI. It is consuming lot of disk space (For eg: 10 minutes video is occupying 800+ MB). I...

Sony Vaio PCG-K23 512MB to 1GB mem upgrade problem [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K23 which came preinstalled with 2 x 256MB Infineon HYS64D32020GDL-7-B PC2100 SO-DIMMs. I recently purchased 2 x 512MB Patriot Memory PSD512333S PC2700 SO-DIMMs hoping to replace the Infineon SO-DIMMs and bring it up to the maximum capability of 1GB. I realise that the PC2700...

Compaq Presario vs. Sony Vaio [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I just bought a Compaq Presario 6027US for $80. It's a Pentium 4 Processor, 2.0 GHz, 512 Mb, PC 2100 DDR Total System Memory. It's 3 years old. Here's what confuses me, my laptop of about the same years is a Sony Vaio PCGFXA63. And this compaq presario is either equal to or better in...

Firewire problem with Sony Camcorder [ 7 Answers ]

I am wondering what the secret is to hooking up a Sony TRV330 digital Camcorder through the Firewire connection. Apparently there is a sequence that must be followed or you can blow out something in the Camcorder. I don't do this very often, so once again, I guess I killed it (the camcorder). ...

Why is the name of sony company is SONY? [ 2 Answers ]

Why is the name of sony company is SONY? Thanks

View more questions Search