Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christj1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Once divorce papers are filed can spouses liquidate material assets?
    I'm living with my son and his wife while my wife and I go through divorce. Once either party files for divorce are the assets frozen for disposition later or can a spouse start liquidating material assets without the other spouses knowledge?
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Nov 5, 2007, 11:41 PM
    There's nothing to stop you or your wife from emptying out any joint bank accounts and running up charges on joint credit cards. You'd be wise to take your name off any joint accounts and/or close the accounts outright. If your divorce is somewhat amicable, talk to her about how you'll handle joint accounts. Also, consult with your divorce attorney to petition the court to freeze any sizable liquid assets. Good luck!
    christj1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Comment on lobrobster's post
    Thanks for the response. I did contact an atty and he said exactly what you did. Great advice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce and assets in Massachusetts [ 5 Answers ]

I know someone in Massachusetts who will be filing for divorce at any time. I wish to give this person a gift of some stock, but I want it to be solely their possession come the divorce. If I give them a stock certificate in their name only, could it be divided up with the rest of the assets come...

Can a mom leave state with child if NO divorce / legal papers have been filed? [ 8 Answers ]

If there have NOT been any legal papers signed or filed can a mom relocate out of state with a child.

Served divorce papers [ 3 Answers ]

After acquiring his U.S.Citizenship my husband is divorcing me. What happens if I don't respond to being served divorce papers ? There is no community property to be divided as he insisted on everything being kept separate. I have separate property including my home of 25 yrs. Which is held in...

How long do I have to move once eviction papers are filed [ 3 Answers ]

How long do I have to move once eviction papers are filed?

Collection agency refuses payment/papers filed [ 1 Answers ]

For the past six months I have been making monthly payments to a collection agency. Was told if I don't triple the amount I was sending, the agency was going to sue me. For four months the agency would call me at work and ask if I was going to triple the payment, if not they were going to sue....

View more questions Search