Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LINA20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Father's rights
    If a father does not sign a birth certificate at the time of the child's birth, does he have any rights over the child?
    ashleynbrett88 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LINA20
    If a father does not sign a birth certificate at the time of the child's birth, does he have any rights over the child?
    Well unless there is another way to prove he is the father then no I don't think he does.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 6, 2007, 11:52 AM
    If a DNA test is done and proves he is the father, then he has full rights as a parent unless you take him to court and fight for otherwise.

The birth certificate doesn't mean much in a court of law.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
    He will need to prove he is the father before being given any "rights" to the child, legally.

This is done by signing the birth certificate, parental affidavit, and/or a DNA test.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Nov 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
    No without a birth certificate you have no rights. But when you take a dna test you have one yr from that date to get your name on the certificate or you lose all rights.
    jvaldez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LINA20
    Non-lawyer answer: most states allow you to do a paternity test and once it is established you have every right whether you signed or not.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Nov 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
    You have to have a paternity test to get paternal rights to the child, but you don't have to ever be on the birth certificate. I'm sure that you could get added to the BC if you wanted later, but its no mandatory for the rights.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondbel
    No without a birth certificate you have no rights. But when you take a dna test you have one yr from that date to get your name on the certificate or you lose all rights.
    And where did you get that tidbit of info? If there is a time limit on adjusting the birth certificate it may vary by jurisdiction.

In fact, a DNA test us generally court ordered as part of a petittion to change the because. Please be more careful in the advice you give.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father's rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old daughter and her father has known about her since I was 2 months pregnant. He told me that I had to have an abortion or give her up for adoption. He quit his job, changed his phone number and moved so that I couldn't find him. I didn't speak with him again until her second...

A Father's rights [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé has 5 childeren with his ex. The youngest, is now 10 months old and has been in our care in our home for the last 5 months. She has had every opportunity to visit, and just dosen't. When she does come for a visit, she only spends 5 or 10 minutes. With him, and rarely touches or holds...

Father's rights [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter gave birth to my beautiful grandson 9 months ago. Although she is only 19, she has a good job in a corporate structure and is really doing well. She is a wonderful mother. My question: The father has not been involved since she was two months into her pregnancy. He is aware of where we...

Father's Rights? [ 7 Answers ]

Does a father have any right if a woman wants to have an unplanned pregancy? Can she demand anything from him if he does not want to participate?

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

View more questions Search