Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Briggs Recoil (pull) starter repair
    Briggs Recoil (pull) starter repair

My wood splitter has a Briggs gas engine, when I pull it and it starts I get a screech sound from the pull rope area. It did it a few different times after it started on other occasions. Today it screeched more often and I noticed the pull rope would come out about 6 - 12 inches and snap back onto the spool. But then it was running good after the 4-5 screeches. Next I shut off the engine to fill the gas tank. When getting it restarted it screech and kept sending the rope in and out while the engine was running, then the rope became stuck about 4 inches hanging out.
    It was wedged very tight.
    I took the cover off containing the rope pulley and saw the roped doubled up in various areas of the housing cover and the spindle after quite some tugging etc I got the rope to pull out and then it rewound itself on the spool. It pulls and retracts freely.
    Question: what is the cause for the high pitch metallic squeal sound that repeats?
    Question what can I do to prevent the rope from locking and tangling in the housing between the spool and housing?

Is it a problem with the rope assembly or crankshaft area??
    Does any part need grease?
    I don't want to start it until I hear what my next step should be.

Thanks much for any assistance.

Joe
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 06:36 PM
    The screach is coming from the clutch assembly. You'll need to remove the re-coil starter to get at it. It's a < $15.00 part and probably stocked at your local lawnmower shop. Getting it off can be tricky. I usually insert one of the screws and bang very gently on the ear while preventing the shaft of the engine from turning. Inserting the screw prevents damaging the threads.

If you feel like being adventurous and the cover of the clutch is removeable. The shaft of the clutch will have to be vertical when the cover is removed. There will be a number, maybe 6, of about 1/4" diameter balls inside.

Remove the cover and remove the bearings and degrease and clean everything. Do not lubercate or grease. Re-assemble.

If you have to turn the engine on it's side, I'd suggest draining the oil and gas.

FWIW, there are engine diagrams at Briggs and Stratton Lawn Mower Engines - Small Engines & Outboard Motors - Briggs & Stratton and you can order parts from there too.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
    I randomly picked a manual here:

Briggs & Stratton - IPL Form Number

Look at item 55 on page 3.
    bop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 04:05 PM
    KeepItSimpleStupid I got the part and installed it, so I was able to split wood today thanks to you!

Joe
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Yes I thought that it would have worked out o.k.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the...

Edger pull cord will not recoil [ 1 Answers ]

I have small gas edger that the cord will not retract back inside. I would like to try and fix it myself, but I have no experience with this sort of thing. So I need some simple steps to possibly get it repaired, hoping maybe I need to just rewind it.. I one that like to see how things are made...

Reassemble Mower starter cord recoil [ 1 Answers ]

My mower's power cord looked like it was about to break. So I purchased a replacement cord and sought instructions on the web. Unfortunately the instructions I found weren't consistent with the design of the Briggs and Stratton engine on my mower. The instructions show how to replace a coed...

Starter Rewind repair Briggs and Stratton [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Briggs and Stratton 3.75 Spirit motor Model 98902 Type 0131 with a broken recoil spring. I can rewind the cord by hand and still start the motor. However after a year and a half of that I figure it's time to fix this! I am mechanically sound but wanted to know if there is anything I...

How to fix a Jammed Recoil on a pull start [ 1 Answers ]

I just tried to start my machine and I puled the cord out and it didn't recoil back in.. I wored on it to try to get it fixed but it just won't recoil.. Any ideas or suggestion would be great! Thank you

View more questions Search