Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maypo52 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Airtemp furnace burners do not come on
    I have an old Airtemp furnace that has a problem. When I turned it on the first time this season the burners would not light. The pilot light ignites and then I hear a click (assume gas valve should open) to supply gas to burners but no joy.:confused: The pilot then goes out for a couple of seconds then it comes back on and it retries again. I'm thinking a thermocouple problem, maybe. This is an Airtemp model 45083F 1421

This is a link to a video of the problem I posted on you tube:

YouTube - Airtemp furnace

Thanks for any help.

maypo52
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 04:55 PM
    First take the pilot assembly out and clean the orifice. It has a very small opening which is a numbered drill bit size.Try to not make it much bigger when you clean it out.It looks like this is a white rodgers setup so also make sure the electrode that supplies the spark and sensor combination is cleaned with a fine sand paper or a little steel wool. If you use steel wool make sure any wool left behind is removed from the electrode and insulator because it can cause a grounding situation and not allow the sensor to operate properly.NOTE: you might want to use a little spray lube where the aluminum tube goes into the nut. Sometimes a bit of corossion will develop and cause the tube to twist in the nut when removing. If you can prevent that you will not have to replace the pilot tube.

The pilot flame is coming on but when the main valve kicks on the pilot flame is not strong enough to keep a signal for the safety device. While you are at it I would also remove the burners and clean them out and then vacuume the below burner area. You can also check to be sure the main burner orifices are clear of debris. The main orifices are much larger than the pilot so you can use a small pin to make sure the holes are cleaned out.

Nov 5, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Thanks HVAC1000. I will give that a try to see what happens. I'll let you know.

Regards,

maypo52

Nov 6, 2007, 03:55 PM
    I took the pilot light section apart and cleaned it up. It was fairly gunked up. I also vacuumed all the junk from the burners and from under the burners. I should have taken a photo to show how much (I don't know what to call it) stuff was laying in and around the burners.

And now I have fire

Thanks for the help HVAC1000
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Glad I could help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Main burners on furnace do no ignite [ 8 Answers ]

I have a bryant furnace, model 398. The main burners do not light after the pilot light ignites. I have cleaned the blower motor and everything else I can. Everything looks and sounds good, but the main burners are not getting any gas to them and lighting. Its getting cold in here and need some...

Carrier Furnace - Burners turn on and off [ 2 Answers ]

On my Carrier furnace (model 58G5100-2) the igniter starts the pilot, and most times the pilot starts the burners after a minute or two and then the blower motor starts. Other times, pilot lights the burners which burn for a minute or two, stop and then start again... and after a few minutes...

Burners come on, go off, come on, then they go away [ 3 Answers ]

Hi folks. I've got a problem with a Goodman GPG13 gas pack unit. When a call to heat is given all seems to work fine but the burners come on for a short time then some go off and come back on but after a while (a couple minutes) they all go off. And they stay off for the lock out time ~ I'm...

Main burners on my carrier furnace not lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier natural gas furnace, model no. 58es080-30. The pilot light ignites, then you can hear a clicking noise, after about 15-20 seconds the blower fan starts up but the main burners are not lit. The furnace has acted like it's been having trouble igniting in the past few weeks, seems...

Need help rewiring Airtemp Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I purchase a home that has a Airtemp Air Handler in the attic. The unit has to be completely rewired. I have the fan contact,it has wires at top(one green, one brown). I take it that this is the input voltage. It has 2 red wires coming out of the coil. I think these are 24V. There is a 24V...

View more questions Search