Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Opinions. Arguments counterarguments about abortion
    I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, if it's not please move it to the proper area, but I am considering writing a paper on abortion (and also considering the death penalty as a topic if you saw my other thread asking for opinions and arguments/ counterarguments) for a college class and I have to take a position, argue for it, and argue /prove wrong the counterarguments to support my position. I have not chosen a side to take yet, as I want to know all the arguments and counterarguments I will need to include in my paper, so...

Tell me why it should be made illegal or should not be made illegal.. please use facts and sources when necessary, and please remember this is only information for a paper, not an actual argument for or against, I don't want to start a fight on this board.

If you talk about why it should be made illegal, I may make a counterargument to that, or if you talk about why it shouldn't be made illegal I may make a counterargument to that. I am just trying to see and understand all the angles and sides to this issue.

So thank you in advance for your help. I don't want to offend anyone, this is just for my research so please don't get angry. :)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Charlotte honey, the purpose of your class is for you to do the research, find as much information in newsarticles, medical journals, legal cases, biblical text,. Decide which position you want to take prior to doing this research, and then write your paper using/quoting the sources that support your arguments. You are going to receive very little actual sources cited here. You will receive a lot of arguments between people. You have been here long enough to know that. ;) It won't really help with the paper and you really need to learn how to formulate your own opinion, and how to back it up. Is that what you are having a problem with? Is this a sociology class? Are you expected to debate the issues?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 02:53 PM
    I moved this to "Member Discussions" because every OTHER time abortion is brought up on this board, it turns into a major discussion.

This way, people can post their opinions without ratings being applied.

I want to direct your attention to at least a couple previous posts on this, though:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...light=abortion

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pregna...light=abortion
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I think moving it to this board was very wise Syn. ;)

I have noticed too much negative rep is being given out to people just voicing their opinions over a general discussion. This is most definitely one of those hot button topics.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Charlotte honey, the purpose of your class is for you to do the research, find as much information in newsarticles, medical journals, legal cases, biblical text,. Decide which position you want to take prior to doing this research, and then write your paper using/quoting the sources that support your arguments. You are going to receive very little actual sources cited here. You will receive a lot of arguments between people. You have been here long enough to know that. It won't really help with the paper and you really need to learn how to formulate your own opinion, and how to back it up. Is that what you are having a problem with? Is this a sociology class? Are you expected to debate the issues?

Actually, the purpose of this paper is that I'm supposed to talk to others about their opinions to help me understand all the arguments I have to make against whichever side I choose..

I am supposed to conduct a survey, a poll, or just have a general discussion with people for the paper, it's one of the requirements. I'm not trying to be lazy and not do research, I've already done research actually and I want to be sure I've covered every argument/counterargument and addressed all angles of the issue.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 6, 2007, 01:30 AM
    The two posts I've linked have long and lengthy discussions on how most of the members here stand on abortion.

It's been battled (erm, I mean "discussed" of course) so many times, and no one ever changes their minds about how they stand.

You can also search this site using the word 'abortion' and it turns up DOZENS of posts about it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Sorry if I offended you Charlotte. I rarely get involved with hot button topics anymore. Good luck! :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 05:26 AM
    I agree with Synnen - those two threads will tell all you need to know from this community.
    Also, if you are trying to do a poll it's good to ask people face to face to get another viewpoint. The anonymous nature of the internet allows some to spew venom.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 05:54 AM
    I wasn't really offended, it's just that so often people treat me like a child in my life, (Mostly my parents, even though I am an adult) I guess I'm just touchy about being called honey or anything of that nature, honestly.

That's true, needkarma, but I just am trying to get all the sides and arguments of the story, and since I haven't taken a position yet I have my own position based on my own personal morals and values) but I want to base it on whether facts and important things I learn sway the vote, basically, if that makes any sense? I guess I can just see both sides and don't want my own bias in the paper.

Thank you for the links, Synnen, I will be reading them!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Analyzing Arguments [ 2 Answers ]

When you are building an argument for an issue that is significant to you, do you think it is more important to be valid or sound?

C2660, does not take 0 arguments [ 1 Answers ]

I have read about this error message and understand that there is something that I should put between the () of the calcAvg(), but I can't figure out what! I thought it would be 'number', but that doesn't work... PLEASE HELP! I bold-ed the calcAvg function //Ch9Ex3and4.cpp - accepts an...

I can't handle arguments! [ 5 Answers ]

If my boyfriend and I have a heated discussion, and I hear his booming voice starting to grow, the first thing I do is look for the exit and RUN. I go to great lengths to avoid arguing, and sometimes walk on eggshells or just agree with him. I have even lied about petty things to prevent...

Arguments [ 3 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship with my boyfreind for 3 and a half months, and lately I have been starting loads of unnesasary arguments. He puts up with it, but I'm worried that he will get bored of me keep starting them. I really love him and he loves me and I don't want this relationship to end. I...

View more questions Search