Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smongeon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 10:31 AM
    401(k) rollover
    If I am over 70 1/2 years old and still working, can I rollover my 401(k) to an IRA ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Yes you can - once you reach 59-1/2 you can withdraw money from your 401(k) plan, so I don't see why you couldn't roll it to an IRA. Please keep in mind that at 70-1/2 you are required to take distributions from both your 401(k) and IRA (the Fed wants to get their hands on the income tax due sooner rather than later).
    kliem Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Yes you can - once you reach 59-1/2 you can withdraw money from your 401(k) plan, so I don't see why you coudn't roll it to an IRA. Please keep in mind that at 70-1/2 you are required to take distributions from both your 401(k) and IRA (the Fed wants to get their hands on the income tax due sooner rather than later).
    In addition, please remember to take that Required Minimum Distribution (RMD), otherwise, Uncle Sam is going to take 50% penalty for failing to take the RMD -- that's a hefty penalty!:mad:
    rjskal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 09:54 AM

Actually, if you're still working you don't have to take RMDs from that 401K until you retire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Rollover Check [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the penalties for depositing a 401k rollover check into my personal checking account that I was suppose to give to my new 401k company? Will my previous 401k company track where the check is deposited? Thanks.

401K Rollover Fees [ 1 Answers ]

Are 401K Rollover fees tax deductable?

IRA Rollover [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone here done an ira rollover of their retirement savings? It says in the article "IRA Rollover is you taking up responsibility of your retirement savings account for upto 60 days before reinvesting it into a new retirement plan" How did the process work? What broker did you deal with?...

View more questions Search