Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Dec 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    That means, they can't say, "Hey Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus or any other religious people, if you think you're gonna pray, forget about it. We won't permit you to exercise your religion."
    Well, I think this is the area of contention. Many people (myself included), just don't see them as saying any such thing now. Your child is perfectly free to pray as often as he wants in school. He just needs to do so without disturbing others. Let me ask you this...

Many Muslims must pray 3 or 4 times a day. Are you OK with taking 3 times out of the day for prayer? What if Muslims were a majority in a given school?

I see it as you're being unreasonable. Again, we don't need to change a thing so that your child can pray in school right now. He can go to school tomorrow and pray with no repurcussions whatsoever. No one is telling him he can't. His rights are secured. Like I said, you have your work cut out for you.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    Well, I think this is the area of contention. Many people (myself included), just don't see them as saying any such thing now. Your child is perfectly free to pray as often as he wants in school. He just needs to do so without disturbing others. Let me ask you this...

Many Muslims must pray 3 or 4 times a day. Are you ok with taking 3 times out of the day for prayer? What if Muslims were a majority in a given school?

I see it as you're being unreasonable. Again, we don't need to change a thing so that your child can pray in school right now. He can go to school tomorrow and pray with no repurcussions whatsoever. No one is telling him me can't. His rights are secured. Like I said, you have your work cut out for you.
    In fact, Muslims seem to be making headway in that respect. I have nothing against Muslims praying in Public School.

Prayer at graduation ceremonies of public schools
    2001-NOV: NY: New York City public schools: Chancellor Harold Levy stated that the city would facilitate prayers for Muslim students during the lunar month ...
    Prayer at graduation ceremonies of public schools - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

Muslim prayer at public schools (radical, Reed, Christ, state ...
    Public schools grapple with Muslim prayer | csmonitor.com ... I like Mark Steyn's term "creeping sharia", concessions being given to them day by day, ...
    Politics and Other Controversies - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

WorldNetDaily: School allows Muslim to pray
    An Ohio high school that barred a Muslim from praying at school reached a compromise, ... prayers or Bible readings at public schools are unconstitutional, ...
    WorldNetDaily: School allows Muslim to pray - 31k -

But let me ask you. Since Islam requires Muslims to pray 5 times a day, and since Muslims are a very small minority in this country, how do you respond when they want to pray? After all, you said, the majority could not dictate to the minority, didn't you?

Country Name,, Total Population,, Muslims Percentage,, Number of Muslims
    United States,, 266,476,278,, 3.75 %,, ,, 9,992,860

Population of Muslims around the world

Atheists The Persecuted LARGE Minority
    See the chart on this website. I couldn't cut and paste. It showed atheists at about 25% in some states and totaling more than 29 million. Only Catholics and Baptists number more.
    Atheists In America

Oh, do you guys consider yourself persecuted? Ain't that kind of paranoid?

Sincerely,
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 05:13 AM
    In fact, Muslims seem to be making headway in that respect. I have nothing against Muslims praying in Public School.
    LOL! I am sure you don't. Once Muslims can manage that one, they have just paved the way quite nicely for you and have made your case a MUCH stronger one. LOL. Sorry, I don't see the Muslims making headway if we are to rely on the links you gave to us as proof of that.
    Prayer at graduation ceremonies of public schools
    2001-NOV: NY: New York City public schools: Chancellor Harold Levy stated that the city would facilitate prayers for Muslim students during the lunar month ...
    Prayer at graduation ceremonies of public schools - 51k - Cached - Similar pages
    In the list provided, all were denied the right to pray during normal school hours/class time. Harold Levy had to quickly squash his "brilliant" plan, due to an overwhelmingly negative response from the public. The only issue listed that did not have the correct outcome, IMO, was the one in TX where the children were not allowed to pray during their lunch hour. That should have been allowed. Lunch hour is not class time, it is break time. Since this occurred close to 8 years ago, hopefully the parents of the students have managed to get that decision reversed by now. If not, they should be challenging it.
    Muslim prayer at public schools (radical, Reed, Christ, state ...
    Public schools grapple with Muslim prayer | csmonitor.com ... I like Mark Steyn's term "creeping sharia", concessions being given to them day by day, ...
    Politics and Other Controversies - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

This is a forum link.? I am sure it has some relevance, but I am being brought to the beginning of the forum and not the thread you want us to look at. Since I am not a member, it isn't allowing for a search and I don't have the time to search through the threads one by one to find it. Is there a direct link to an article that you are referencing here? Or is this merely an opinion thread, like the one we are on now?
    WorldNetDaily: School allows Muslim to pray
    An Ohio high school that barred a Muslim from praying at school reached a compromise, ... prayers or Bible readings at public schools are unconstitutional, ...
    WorldNetDaily: School allows Muslim to pray - 31k -
    This explains that the compromise reached allows the student to pray during lunch hour, along with before and after school hours. The same rights as all other religions if they so choose to exercise their rights.

But let me ask you. Since Islam requires Muslims to pray 5 times a day, and since Muslims are a very small minority in this country, how do you respond when they want to pray? After all, you said, the majority could not dictate to the minority, didn't you?

Country Name ,,,,,,,Total Population,,,,,,,,Muslims Percentage ,,,,,,,Number of Muslims
    United States,,,,,,,,,,,,, 266,476,278 ,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,3.75 % ,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 9,992,860

Population of Muslims around the world
    I respond the same way to all who want to pray during scheduled class time. There should be no exceptions or accommodations made for Muslim students. If other religions aren't allowed to do so, why should they be treated any differently?

Atheists The Persecuted LARGE Minority
    See the chart on this website. I couldn't cut and paste. It showed atheists at about 25% in some states and totaling more than 29 million. Only Catholics and Baptists number more.
    Atheists In America

Oh, do you guys consider yourself persecuted? Ain't that kind of paranoid?
    Nothing personal because you didn't write this article, but this has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have read. Who wrote this?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 09:10 AM
    It should be noted statistics on religion in America get skewed depending on the specific question asked, and that "non-religious" doesn't necessarily mean "atheist". I know many people who believe in god, but if asked, "Are you religious" would respond, "No."
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Dec 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    It should be noted statistics on religion in America get skewed depending on the specific question asked, and that "non-religious" doesn't necessarily mean "atheist". I know many people who believe in god, but if asked, "Are you religious" would respond, "No."
    I think you raise a very important point. Many, many people believe in "belief" in God. That is, they think belief and religious affiliation is important, but when backed into a corner about whether they really believe some of the more outrageous claims of the bible, they will answer no. If cornered further, a good percentage of these people would admit to having doubts about God as well.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Dec 16, 2007, 11:04 AM
    What do I think about prayer in school?

First and foremost, public schools are obligated to provide equal educational opportunity to all of its students.

That said, if Christians need 20 seconds at the start of class to say a quick prayer, then there should be a "moment of silence" before the teacher may begin presenting course material. If Muslims need time to pray several times during the day, they should be given schedules that allow for prayer. If Jews need a day off to observe a holiday, teachers should provide make-up sessions or exams.

I believe the "problems" are not caused by religion, but by the inflexibility of public school teachers unions. Those unions fail to recognize that teachers have a duty to educate. Teachers have a responsibility to watch the calendar, plan accordingly, even staying late or working weekends to give EVERY student the education they deserve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need as many opinions as possible! [ 7 Answers ]

I had posted a message on this site before because me & my boyfriend had fooled around & I thought there was a great possibility that I was pregnant (you may want to go back and read the whole story). I waited for about 2 weeks after my missed period and pregnancy symptoms started, and then finally...

Need opinions! [ 5 Answers ]

Actually I don't know any of you , but stumbled across this site when I was reasearching having multiple cats. I am 21 years old and I live in a two bedroom apartement with my boyfriend . I grew up with animals , my father worked for the humane society and always felt the need to help as many as I...

Need some of your opinions! [ 2 Answers ]

So I have been seeing this girl... It started inocent enough and moved quickly to sexual. We were very cuddly and the sexual part was fantastic. She did tell me right from the start that she had just gotten out of a messy relationship with a guy that she moved across the country to be with. Now...

Any opinions ? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I was kind of with this girl in the summber but we both went on vacation like she went on a week or seomthing. Day she came back I left for mine for 2 weeks than when I came back she left again.. so we started fighting and things changed. Didn't talk to her for awhile saw her around and saw...

Need opinions [ 2 Answers ]

My nephew has an outstanding warrant for drug use. He did not appear in court. His dad signed a 5000.00 surety bond and he did not appear. Since the first incident my sisters home has been raided once again. They did not find my nephew there. They did arrest his dad (my brotherinlaw) for stolen...

View more questions Search