Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ABsnow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Wishing to Change Decision Making Power in Joint Custody Agreement.
    My ex-husband and I have a joint custody agreement (60:40, me:him) that includes 50/50 decision making power in regard to medical care, education, and religion. When we were married we usually agreed about everything related to parenting and care for the kids. My ex-husband has remarried and now many issues that we previously agreed on have become areas of disagreement. The biggest and most pressing issue relates to medical care for the kids. I feel it is important to follow our pediatrician's advice and thereby give the kids vaccinations and medicine when it is prescribed. My ex-husband has developed an alternative view and wishes to pursue alternative therapies at the exclusion of modern medical care. Right now my son has strep throat and is with his father (it is his parenting time). My son's doctor has written a prescription for Penicillin but my ex refuses to start him on the medication, preferring alternative treatments. I am very worried and upset because untreated Strep will keep my son out of school longer and puts him at risk for dangerous complications (scarlet fever, rheumatic fever). Because we have 50/50 power related to medical care have I reached a legal road block for demanding that my son receive proper medication and vaccinations? How difficult is it to make changes to parenting agreements (specifically decision making power)? Does something like this give me recourse for making a change?
    Thanks for your help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Real hard, you will have to hire an attorney and sue in court and prove why it needs to be changed ( unless you want to give up your part of it or unless your ex wants to give up his part of it.

So you go to court, spend 1000's of dollars fighting this,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship between financial decision making and risk and return? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the relationship between financial decision making and risk and return? Would all financial mangers view risk-return trade-offs similarly?:confused:

Joint custody/joint physcial custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I got married in 1993, we separated in 1996, got back together in the same year, My now ex-husband file for divorce in 2000, I did not respond to the divorce, I did not respond due to not getting an court date to appear (divorce papers were served to me while living with ex at the time) due...

Can a mother with joint custody change a child's school without permission? [ 1 Answers ]

My Fiancé has a four year old, and with permission from her biological mother we moved about 50 miles away because my fiancé got a better job. She also said that she could go to school down where we are. To determine the new schedule we decided to met halfway to drop her off on thursdays and her...

Joint custody - name change [ 4 Answers ]

I have joint custody with the ex, and my lawyer advise me to get full custody because I have greater chances in winning since I went against my lawyer got joint what are the chances of getting full now? On top of that he had put a ban that I can't travel anywhere with her, now he is saying that I...

View more questions Search