Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snow_white Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I do not want this dog to die
    My neighbor has a dog that is very sick and can hardly stand or walk. He is severely underweight and it looks as though all muscle mass is missing. The dog is all skin and bones. He looks like a fur covered skeleton. I feel really bad for the dog. The dog was stuck in the mud for 2 days and he seems to be severely dehydrated. She said that she is treating the dog at home because she can not afford a vet bill. I went to petco and picked up some "petsure", nutro dog food in the can and walmart for pedialite to try and rehydrate. The dog still has a very healthy appetite. It has been almost two days now and he is standing on his on now, he is still clumsy while walking but he tries. I guess he ate some of the mud off him because his stools are very hard to come out and the color is extreme black. Is there anything else that I can do to help her with the home treatment? Please let me know. I love dogs and I would hate to see this one die.
    br_hjs Posts: 160, Reputation: 11
    -

Nov 4, 2007, 03:14 PM
    It sounds to me like she is abusing the dog. Is their any kind of humane shelters around or something that can take the dog from them? Is their anyway that you can try to help take it to the vet or anything?

Nov 4, 2007, 03:19 PM
    She is an elderly woman and the dog is her only companion. I would hate to have the dog taken from her. I wanted to call the proper authorities on her but she seems to be trying. I would just like t o help her without hurting her.

Nov 4, 2007, 03:23 PM
    I wanted t o take the dog t o the vet but I was afraid that they would put charges on my neighbor for animal negelect. I do not want to send the woman to jail. She is trying to save the dog. Is there any thing you can give a dog that is 2.2 years old to gain weight?
    -

Nov 4, 2007, 03:24 PM
    OK, the part about the dog being stuck in the mud for 2 days and how its really skinny and everything seems kind of like its being abused.. but I understand if that's her only companion and she's elderly. I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say. All I can say is to try to make sure that she is feeding it enough and giving it water. Maybe try to help get it into a vet. But I would hate for it to have to get put down if its really bad, but it doesn't need to suffer eihter.

Nov 4, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Sorry about the typing errors.
    -

Nov 4, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Well it eat people foood if you give it to it? It may not be the best thing. But before one of my dogs died, they got really skinny and wouldn't eat dog food. We had to feed it our food to keep it from starving
    -

Nov 4, 2007, 03:26 PM
    O its OK don't worry about it

Nov 4, 2007, 03:27 PM
    I agree you are correct. I will see if I can take off tomorrow and take her and t he dog to the vet. I will just have to pay the bill and pray that t he dog lives. Sorry for being so selfish. Thanks for the wake up.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Black stool can mean bleeding, he really needs to see a vet. Also she could at least keep it inside and keep it warm and out of the mud.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 03:29 PM
    How long has this been and how did he get in such shape? Was he refusing to eat, or was she just not feeding him? The dark stools worry me, it could be blood, not the mud. I think the dog needs to see a vet, but can understand how you feel about calling the authorities.

If money is a problem, there is no reason to pay a premium for Nutro. If anything, dogs do better on the cheaper, common brands such as Pro Plan and Iams. I don't know that there is anything wrong with Old Roy. I am sure it is better for dogs than table scraps.

Nov 4, 2007, 03:43 PM
    There is blood in the stool.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 03:56 PM
    I would just like to add here that I once took someone's dog to the vet for them.
    It was skinny like you described and need immediate attention.
    I called the vet and told them I was bringing someone's dog in to be seen.
    They asked no questions, they just helped me help the dog... that was it.
    Nothing bad was ever said, in fact, they commended me for actually caring enough to take the time and money to help someone else's animal.
    If you want to take the animal to the vet, it would be a kind and compassionate thing for you to do.
    It could have worms or a number of other illnesses causing the black stools and weight loss.

Nov 4, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Please let me know if it is OK to give the dog a bath today because I tried t o help her give him one yesterday but 1/2 way through he was shivering like crazy. The water was very warm and I used some Sergents shampoo for dogs. I would like to try again today if I am going to be the one taking the little stinky doggy to the vet. He has dried poo on his legs with mud and I really do not want to take the dog in there like that. Is it 2 soon? How long do you wait for the next bath?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Snow, the bath is the least of the worries right now. You are correct in assuming the dog will die if he doesn't see the vet. Honey, he may be her only companion, she may be trying, but it is obvious she is incapable of taking care of that dog. Are you prepared to shoulder complete financial responsibility to vet and feed the dog? He should not be kept outside. If he is constantly outside, the dog doesn't mean as much to her as you believe he does. Most elderly people with pets who live alone keep those pets by their sides at all times. They are like children to them and they treat them as such. Can you take the dog into your home? Can you convince her that this would be the best solution for the dog and she can visit with the dog every day?

What condition is your neighbor in? Have you been inside of her house? Does she have any family? It might be time to call your State's Health Dept and find out if there is a Dept of Aging or services for the elderly. She sounds like she desperately needs some help and intervention. It would be the kindest thing for you to do. She needs someone to be monitoring her on a daily basis, making sure she is eating, and making sure she is still capable of living on her own. It would be a terrible thing for her to fall down and not be found for a few days.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Leave it to Ruby to pick up on an essential that rest of us missed. The lady may need help more than the dog. You are a true princess for stepping in to help the dog.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Yes labman, snow white is a true princess for caring about the dog. I would not be so concerned about the lady being charged with anything. If she is having trouble taking care of herself, that is considered an extenuating circumstance and she won't be brought up on neglect charges. That dog is most definitely dehydrated if it is unsteady on it's feet. He wasn't given enough water, he is starving, so he wasn't given food, and if he was stuck in the mud outside for two days, he hasn't being given the proper shelter. As sweet as the lady may be, it is not in the best interest of the dog to leave him in her care.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 06:17 PM
    This reminds me of the woman here in Illinois who owned about 15 horses that she had loved and taken care of for years. Once she aged and was physically unable to care for them and even afford food for them (and horses are expensive!), they were left to fend for themselves out in the barn. Several died of starvation; others were eating the wood posts of their stables. All were knee-deep in manure. The woman's fear was that, if she called for help, she would be heavily fined and even arrested, plus would be generally demeaned for her poverty situation. A local horse rescue group came in and saved the horses that were still alive and has since found good homes for many of them.

That may be what's been happening in this case, that the woman is unable to physically get around well enough and also unable to afford extra food for the dog. Maybe with someone's help several times a week, she will be able to keep the dog and herself in good health.

What kind of a dog is it? Will she allow it in her house, especially on bad weather days?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

She going to die! [ 17 Answers ]

:( I think you all know my friend ashley132, well I'm her friend joelle. I'm writing because my little sister has just been diginosed with bone cancer, I know she is going to die, but why her, why such a painful cancer. I love my sister and I don't know what to do. I don't go to school any more, I...

Can I die? Please help me someone! [ 20 Answers ]

:( Heey! I'm a 18 year old girl, that used movate cream for some month and didn't see any result so I used it up to six time or more a day. Then I accidentally got it round my mouth and lips, but I just dryed it with a towel and didn't think think much about any side effects. Then after a while a...

I want to die [ 3 Answers ]

I am 40 years old, divorced from the love of my life because of my stupidity. I think I am in love with another man, but he couldn't care about me, has cheated on me and belittles me. I know I am not good enough for anyone, so I have been with this man or almost 7 years. I have two beautiful...

I want to die [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my names johny I'm 13 years old most of you probably won't listen to my little life story but ill try and hope for some help. Well I started life as a normal happy baby went to primary school, I was figting a lot but I had quite a lot of friends, but I hated school so I changed in year 4 and...

When I die [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know if I will go to heaven when I die Yes or no

View more questions Search