Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    nohelp4u, that is an awesome trick...I'll be trying that one for sure:D

Also Clough, I'm no betty crocker and I like to burn things, so I bought an insulated cookie baking sheet...works like a charm:)
    Your mentioning Betty Crocker just reminded me of the time my brother graduated from high school. I think that I was in the sixth grade and the year must have been about 1969.

As everyone went up, one-by-one, to get their diplomas, they came to the section of people whose first letter of their last name was "C." One gal was named Betty Crocker! When her name was announced, it seemed like everyone laughed. I felt very sorry for her! What a thing to remember about her graduation... :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    So, are you saying that the heating process for the cookies is done in a pot on the stove and then the way the cookies are then finished is by letting them dry on the waxed paper?

Also, why is a double boiler preferable? About all the double boiling that I do involves the heating up lacquer when I do refinishing. :)
    Yes, the cookies, instead of being baked in the oven, are cooked on the stovetop much like one makes fudge. Instead of cooking to a certain boiling point, like one does with fudge, one boils these stove-top cookies a minute and not more than two minutes. That sort of applies the same principle but the cook doesn't have to mess with a candy thermometer.

A double boiler will have water in the bottom pot and the stuff (chocolate pieces/squares or caramels) in the top pot. As the water heats up in the bottom pot, the stuff in the top pot will begin to melt. A watchful cook will stir the stuff in the top pot and regulate how quickly it all melts by adjusting the flame/burner under the bottom pot. The reason a double boiler is used is to slowly and carefully melt stuff. If only one pot were used and sat directly on the flame/burner, the contents could possibly burn or there could be other disasters. (My fudgies recipe uses only one pot, not a double boiler, because I am a risk-taker cook and love to live dangerously.)
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:43 PM
    So, are you saying that the heating process for the cookies is done in a pot on the stove and then the way the cookies are then finished is by letting them dry on the waxed paper?

Also, why is a double boiler preferable? About all the double boiling that I do involves the heating up lacquer when I do refinishing. :)
    Hahaha! You're hilarious! I love your sense of humour!

Yes, you are correct. You do not bake these cookies. They are very simple, but they melt in your mouth and fill the senses with incredible textures. :) I don't know if letting them 'dry' is the purpose... more like letting them cool and set. :p

The double boiler is preferable to prevent burning the ingredients. It is more likely to happen on direct heat.

By the way, Craig, I sent you an email a little bit ago. Did you get it? It was semi-important. (That's kind of like semi-sweet chocolate.) :rolleyes:

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    nohelp4u, that is an awesome trick...I'll be trying that one for sure:D

Also Clough, I'm no betty crocker and I like to burn things, so I bought an insulated cookie baking sheet...works like a charm:)
    What's an insulated cookie baking sheet? What is the material or materials of which it is composed?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 10:49 PM
    So, is this baking stone something that must be maintained in a similar way as cast iron skillets are
    No, a baking stone is make of, um, stone. Here's the composition: 15-45% portland cement, 30-55% fireclay, 4-11% mullite, 2-6% silica, 0.5-3% glass fiber, 10-30% water and 0.03-1.5% of a plasticizer plus a pigment in order to produce a colored baking stone. It is breakable and must be gently washed but not with soap or SOS or Comet cleanser, just warm water and a scrubber to get off any debris.

I recently awarded my baking stone to AmVets since I hated it and never had good luck with it.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    Hahaha! You're hilarious! I love your sense of humour!

Yes, you are correct. You do not bake these cookies. They are very simple, but they melt in your mouth and fill the senses with incredible textures. :) I don't know if letting them 'dry' is the purpose... more like letting them cool and set. :p

The double boiler is preferable to prevent burning the ingredients. It is more likely to happen on direct heat.

By the way, Craig, I sent you an email a little bit ago. Did you get it? It was semi-important. (That's kinda like semi-sweet chocolate.) :rolleyes:

Hugs, Didi
    Just moved me, a lot of food, computer and other stuff back into my home after house and dog-sitting. Have oogobs of email that is still on the server to download into my computer. Did not download much email into my computer because the phone line connection was so poor in the home where I was.

I will download in just a bit. May take me a little while. Am on a phone line here too, although it's much better than the other connection. When downloading email, I tend to not be able to jump around on sites when I am doing it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 10:51 PM
    There should be a DSL package cheaper than dial-up around there, isn't there? My bil in Hampton switched recently.

I hope you're writing down all this cooking stuff, Craig.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    No, a baking stone is make of, um, stone. Here's the composition: 15-45% portland cement, 30-55% fireclay, 4-11% mullite, 2-6% silica, 0.5-3% glass fiber, 10-30% water and 0.03-1.5% of a plasticizer plus a pigment in order to produce a colored baking stone. It is breakable and must be gently washed but not with soap or SOS or Comet cleanser, just warm water and a scrubber to get off any debris.

I recently awarded my baking stone to AmVets since I hated it and never had good luck with it.
    So, I take it that there must be better and worse kinds/types/brands of baking stones?
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
    There should be a DSL package cheaper than dial-up around there, isn't there? My bil in Hampton switched recently.

I hope you're writing down all this cooking stuff, Craig.
    Just did, Carol! Please look down, or up! :p
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 10:55 PM
    So, I take it that there must be better and worse kinds/types/brands of baking stones?
    I know people who bake cookies on them, reheat pizza on them, probably warm their mittens on them, and generally think they are the best thing since fire was invented, so I probably had a cheap version or something. I hated mine.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:55 PM
    Am going to download email... now!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
    (Michelle is posting her songs and poems now in another thread. Maybe Clough can put them to music.)
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 11:05 PM
    (Michelle is posting her songs and poems now in another thread. Maybe Clough can put them to music.)
    Well, there may be hope yet for the girl! :) Good to see her trying some different things!

I'll check it out.. :)

Thank you for letting me know, Carol!
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Email has been downloaded. Thanks Didi!
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Originally Posted by grammadidi
    My favourite cookies are cocoa, oatmeal and coconut. I mix the ingredients, heat them in a pot on the stove (double boiler preferably, but not necessary), then drop them by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. They are awesome and I never burn myself!

Sometimes I use a pizza pan and make one giant chocolate chip with nuts (and sometimes marshmallows) cookie. When I used to babysit I would tell the kids we were having pizzas for lunch and they would get so excited because they knew that one of them was my famous giant chocolate chip cookie with secret messages on top (done with the marshmallows or with a thin chocolate icing printing)!

Hugs, Didi
    Quote Originally Posted by wackymb
    Wow!! I didn't know that you can do that. I'm going to try that next time I make cookies. I made Banana cookies earlier. I didn't even know there was a banana cookie until I found the recipe in one of my son's Highlights book. And they taste pretty good to.
    And, I didn't know that they posted recipes in Highlights books! :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
    I'm guessing (hoping?) there will be a Christmas cookie recipe thread started one of these days. I start baking around Thanksgiving and freeze each batch to save until Christmas.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 11:40 PM
    ONLY FIVE DAYS UNTIL YOUR BIRTHDAY, WONDERGIRL!! :) :D ;) :eek:

You and dr. luther making any plans? :D
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 11:45 PM
    No plans yet. Martin hasn't contacted me.

Have you ever heard of Portillo's?
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 11:49 PM
    No plans yet. Martin hasn't contacted me.

Have you ever heard of Portillo's?
    Oh, so you're on a first name basis with Dr. Luther, eh?

In answer to your question, "No."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 11:54 PM
    It's a Chicago area restaurant chain. Their main food is Italian beef and Chicago hot dogs. Since they started years ago, they've branched out into salads and chocolate cake and grilled tuna sandwiches and full-slab or half-slab ribs a la carte or dinners, and so many other things. I could eat there every night for two weeks and never repeat myself. I hope there's a Portillo's in heaven. That's what I want for my birthday supper (in our family the birthday person gets to pick the food).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ratio of baking soda/baking powder to plainf flour [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Australian cookie recipe that calls for self raising flour and I do not have any.. what ratio of baking powder should I add to the regular flour to make it "self raising' Many thanks

Is there a way to track my ow cookies? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a business and I know someone is deleting the history. I know you can't view a deleted history but is there a way to track your own computers history to view where the computer has been recently? Thanks

Biscotti baking [ 1 Answers ]

How can I prevent cracking on top of the loaf when making biscotti?

Baking cakes [ 3 Answers ]

What makes a cake rise?

Cookies [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a page where I can find out who owns the cookies that keep appearing when I do scan?? Toydajo

View more questions Search