Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TazDeeSha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 04:37 PM
    When to start breeding?
    My female Chow-Chow is 5 months old, and in the last week or so we've noticed that she has started bleeding. When should we think about breeding her?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Not until after you have done considerably more research than you have. Your question displays a abysmal ignorance of breeding. First, it is highly unlikely a female is coming into season at 5 months. If she is only 5 months and bleeding at the vulva, more likely she has a medical problem and needs to see a vet Monday. Second, females are not ready to go through a pregnancy that soon. To reduce abusive breeding, the AKC will not even register puppies if the parents are too young.

Start at http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/images/breeding-off.jpg Then get some books and read them. You have plenty of time before she will be ready to breed if she indeed is of breeding quality.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Taz, the majority of the people that donate their time to this board do rescue work, train service dogs, are trainers, or are dog owners. We don't have anyone contributing at this time that I am aware of that are active breeders.

It pains me when I see questions such as yours. As of this writing, there are 2,816 Chows Chows (& chow mixes) that have been dumped for one reason or another and are sitting in shelters and rescues across the United States waiting to be placed into their forever homes. Many will inevitably be euthanized due to lack of space. Please see this link to petfinders so that you can see the Chows just waiting to be adopted. Petfinder.com Everyone loves puppies but as you can see from the link, there are many people that just don't realize how much of a time commitment is involved, and they opt to dump their dogs. Can you be 100% positive that this won't be the fate for one of the puppies from your litter? Please reconsider breeding your Chow Chow.

If this doesn't change your mind, then please see this link from the AKC American Kennel Club - Responsible Breeding Steps

I agree with labman in that 5 months is a bit early for your dog to go into heat. I think a vet check is in order. You may want to discuss with your vet what I have posted here along with the health aspects of spayed vs nonspayed females. If a female is spayed, you don't have to contend with the good possibility of her developing uterine or ovarian cancer down the road.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 06:59 PM
    And if Ruby and labman aren't enough to make you think twice, you will find if you do research that breeding is a good way to lose money.

From Should I Breed My Dog?

Raising a litter involves a considerable investment in time and money - money that you aren't likely to get back in profit. By the time your is old enough to have puppies, you'll already have more than $1000 invested in her purchase price, food & upkeep, vaccinations and the medical tests & certification to prove her suitability for breeding. In order to produce quality puppies, you'll need to use a stud dog that's as good or better than she is. Good stud dogs require a hefty fee. Most professional breeders won't be interested in taking a puppy in exchange nor are they interested in breeding to just any .

There'll be pre-whelping exams and x-rays, post-whelping exams and shots, dewclaw removal and/or tail docking, puppy shots (two sets for each pup before they're sold), worming medication, extra food for dam & pups, equipment like whelping boxes, heating pads, puppy playpens, crates, etc. Problem pregnancies are common. A cesarian section can cost up to $500.

You'll be taking time off work to help whelp the litter and make sure all is well the first few days. Especially if this is your 's first litter. Dogs don't always know what to do and can accidentally kill their puppies. A problem during whelping can cost your her life if you're not there to tend her. You can depend on a 25% mortality rate for newborn puppies no matter how well you care for them. Birth defects like cleft palettes are also common. Then there will be advertising costs to help sell your puppies. Depending on your breed and part of the country, it can take up to 4 months to find proper homes for your whole litter. Even breeders of top quality show dogs rarely break even on their expenses.
    josecastellanos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 10:02 AM

What is the price for tail amputation on a dog
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 01:36 PM

I'm not sure about pricing for docking a dogs tail. I don't condone it either in my opinion it causes pain and is abnormal. But to each his own. Did you try asking a vet or breeder how much it would cost.

Sorry to The OP I know this answer is not to their post
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 06:05 PM

As answer to the OP, when should you breed your dog? Never!

As answer to the tail docking question. Why should you want to cut off part of your dogs spine?

That's all I'll say. :(
    askaway123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull View Post
    As of this writing, there are 2,816 Chows Chows (& chow mixes) that have been dumped for one reason or another and are sitting in shelters and rescues across the United States waiting to be placed into their forever homes. Many will inevitably be euthanized due to lack of space.

Exactly. Why be another lousy backyard breeder when millions die each year? Go to a local shelter and pick you up some more chow chows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breeding [ 7 Answers ]

If My Pitbull tied with my golden retriever and then the next day tied with a lab what would the pups be. Is it possible to have pups from both the GR and Lab?

Breeding [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 18 mth old female mastiff x ridgeback and I would like to know how often the larger breed dogs go on heat. She has already had one season which was Oct/Nov 06. Please help... :confused:

Breeding my Dashaund [ 2 Answers ]

At what age do I need to breed my dashaund?

Breeding [ 2 Answers ]

When the female comes in heat is it best to keep her in her familiar environment Or should we take her to the stud

View more questions Search