Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 3, 2007, 04:25 PM
    First time buying health insurance; not sure what to get
    I'm a 22 year old nonsmoker with no known health problems. I am not in college. I have two part time jobs, and I am trying to get a job with a company offering health benefits. There are TONS of people being laid off in Indiana, so that makes it hard. My question is, if I purchase health insurance right now, what should I get? Does anyone know of any good websites that can explain it all to me? Do I need to provide my medical records in order to get insurance? The problem is that in my case, shortly before I turned 18, my adopted mother told me that she requested that all my childhood medical records be sent to her. She said that she possesses them, the doctors have nothing on record, and she won't give them to me!! (It's a long story, mostly involving her being a drug addict and refusing to take her medication. She tried to use this as blackmail, saying that I could never get insurance without them. She was trying to get me to move in with her at the time, since she refuses to work. We haven't spoken since I was 18 and a half or so. She just won't go to rehab, and I could't watch her do it to herself, so I haven't been around.) Is it even possible for a parent to get medical records sent to them like that? If the doctors don't have my records and she doesn't give them to me, does that mean I can't get insurance? I've been getting annual checkups every year since I was 19. I've been paying out of pocket, but I recently had a breast lump scare. Praise God, it was nothing! It got me thinking about getting insurance. So, I guess, does anyone know about the medical records and/or any good resources pertaining to first-time health insurance buyers? Sorry this is soooo long! Thank you for taking the time to read it. God bless! :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2007, 06:37 PM
    First no, doctors always keeps copies of records, they merely send copies to others. All you supply the insurance company is your current doctor and dates of various treatmetns and the such. ** assumign you are in the US. And of course a simple web search for health insurance will give you many sites that offer prices
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
    You shouldn't have any problems. Most health insurance agencies (when you sign up through an employer) will only ask you to fill out a basic questionnaire with name/address/phone #. SOME may ask for "any previous conditions," but I'm not sure how much that even happens any more.

To get insurance, you won't have to show them any doctor records of previous appointments.

To decide what you'd like, direct questions to the person in charge at your workplace. If you get a job that offers it (GOOD LUCK by the way :)) you will most likely have to sit through an orientation meeting where they will explain your options. For a person your age, its usually best to get the plan that is most affordable. Wait for that job before you worry... every job will offer something different. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No health insurance [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend just recently had an accident where his hand went through a glass pane. He ended up tearing three tendons. This required one night of hospital stay and surgery. He then has to go to rehab for it. Unfortunately, he was just cut off his parent's insurance, and so he does not...

No Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is 25 and has cancer. She doesn't have any health insurance. Are there programs that can help get her medical attention.

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Which insurance company offers health insurance for seniors more than 67 years?

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have never bought private medical cover, critical illness insurance, Loss of earnings insurance, etc. I know that there is various advice and Web sites to help you lower your car insurance, but what, If any, facilities exist to help you shop around for these other types of insurance?...

View more questions Search