Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragondog Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Anydiet plans?
    Any detailed diet plans?:confused:
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 3, 2007, 01:13 PM
    I think the best diet is just to eat balanced meals(veggies, meat, carbs, dairy, fruit) and exercise. Eat treats in moderation. Make sure you are drinking enough liquids. Always check with your doctor before you start a diet plan to make sure that it is right for you and that you are healthy enough to exercise. It's not so much a diet, as a lifestyle change to be healthy. That's what has helped me in the past. Also, make sure you don't skip meals when you diet.

Nov 3, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Well I'm only 14, I'm NOT trying to lose weight I'm perfect weight right now.. but I'm still a nut about eating right, I don't drink any soda, eat any chocolate, and very minumal candy..
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Well your on the right track with no soda, chocolate, candy. And if you can cut out fried or fast food, and all presweetened drinks that too will help you a lot. Keep sodium levels less than 1,00-2300 milligrams a day. Learn to read nutritional labels and stick to the one serving size and see what is in the foods you are eatting, like sugar and sodium percentages. Cut out snacks like chips and sustitute a handful of nuts or seeds when you want a snack. What's really important with all diets is the correct portion of the foods that your eating. For instance a serving of any lean meat, like skinless chicken, turkey breast, fish, or loin type meats is 2-3 oz. it's about the size of your open palm, or the size of a kiddie meals hamburger. Along with the meat you need veggies, raw or steamed, beans, legumes, lentils and fruit, with every meal. The next big helper in dieting is dairy products, 3 servings a day of low fat or skim, milk, cheese, yogurt actually aids in fat loss. Energy metabolism, which increases fat breakdown - which helps decrease body fat. The more calcium you store in your fat cells the more calories your body will burn, calcium seems to increase the body's core temperature which causes it to burn calories faster, especially when you exercise. If you eat white flour products, switch to whole grain like some form of wheat, bread, cereals, rice and pastas. Your metabolism increase every time you eat, so eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours. What you want to do to lose weight is speed up your metabolism, so make sure you get enough sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner and exercise 3-4 times a week, with some form of cardio, resistance, aerobics even walking 1 mile will help you a lot. And drink lots of water throughout the entire day!!

Nov 5, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Cool, and yeah I refuse any of the fast food either everyone else eats anything but I cut out anything that may seem bad... I have lots of fish too... But I'll definitely eat everything balanced
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dragondog
    Cool, and yeah i refuse any of the fast food either everyone else eats anything but i cut out anything that may seem bad... I have lots of fish too... But I'll definitely eat everything balanced
    Well it sounds like your starting really healthy eating habits, you'll be fine!! ;)
    FitnessExpert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dragondog
    any detailed diet plans?:confused:
    Nobody can simply follow a cookie cutter diet plan for their goals. If your goal is weight loss for example, you need to burn more calories than you consume but not too many or you lose lean tissue. It's a delicate balance that can't be answered by "Eat more veggies and fruits". The key is getting a customized diet for your unique body type and goals.

Try http://www.lifestylechangeonline.com
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 11:56 PM
    I just learned about a new diet.

I'm a writer and just in the last week, I starting reading scientific research on the evolution of the human diet--in other words, what we evolved to eat thousands of years ago-and learned that we didn't evolve to eat grains and dairy. Ancient humans mostly ate fruit and nuts (and probably a lot termites and things like that, unfortunately).

Then I read a scientific study where they put some heart attack patients on the ancient diet (no termites!) and some on a standard "Mediteranean" diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, olive oil, low fat dairy products, and cereal and bread, etc. Amazingly, the men who avoided grains and dairy did WAY better. The lost more weight and their waist lines got smaller than the guys on the other diet. But the biggest difference was in their blood glucose and insulin levels. A lot of people who have heart attacks have diabetes or symptoms like diabetes. Their bodies don't handle sugar well. The people on the no grain, no dairy diet handled sugar a lot better than the people on the regular low fat diet, after just 12 weeks. I'm going to be writing a book about this. But since you asked...

Oh, the men on the paleolithic diet, which included the same amount of meat as the other diet, also ate fewer calories, even though they decided how much fod they were going to eat. Lastly, the more fruit people ate (no matter which diet they were on), the smaller their waist got. This wasn't related to anything else they measured, like weight or insulin... The researchers didn't know why.

I'm going to cut back on the amount of milk and cereal I eat and try to eat more fruits and nuts. Tough though. I love hot buttered toast, rice, popcorn, cocoa, and all kinds of other grain and dairy products.
    Asking

Nov 7, 2007, 06:01 PM
    But if that's true dairy, cheese, etc. isn't bad in any way is it?
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
    The study didn't show whether it was the dairy or grains/cereals that were causing the problems with insulin and regulating blood sugar levels. I'd bet on the grains being the problem, but I don't really know. Or did I not understand your question?
    Asking
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking
    The study didn't show whether it was the dairy or grains/cereals that were causing the problems with insulin and regulating blood sugar levels. I'd bet on the grains being the problem, but I don't really know. Or did I not understand your question?
    Asking
    Now I've studied and been involved in studies that show that dairy should be in your daily diet, 2-3 times a day. People tend to lose more weight and body fat when they have 2-3 servings of lowfat or skim dairy. Calcium regulates energy metabolism, which increases fat breakdown. Lowfat or skim Milk, Cheese, Yogurt increases fat breakdown in fat cells. When you eat dairy you are adjusting the fat burning mechanism in your body. The more calcium you store in your fat cells the more calories your body is going to be able to burn. The calcium seems to increase the body's core temperature which has an definite effect, causing you to burn more calories faster when you exercise. So I don't think I would give up on low fat/skim dairy so fast.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Dear Lovelesspa,
    This is interesting. So are you saying that it's just the increased calcium that promotes energy metabolism and weight loss? Meaning, you could get the calcium from another source besides dairy and accomplish the same thing? (I know that dairy is the easiest food source for calcium, but some greens etc. have it too, right?)

Also, I though that the amount of calcium in a cell was something that cells would regulate pretty closely, needing to balance ions and chemistry, the way they do potassium for example. Is there a lot of leeway in calcium balance in a cell? So you can just keep increasing it? And finally how does the calcium increase metabolism? Do you know which biochemical pathway it is influencing?

Thanks for any answers!

Asking

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business plans [ 1 Answers ]

I am a sales and marketing guy for the last 10years, now I want to start my own business with a small savings I have and this business I would like it to be in bangalore india.

Service plans [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you to hvac1000 & to hvacservicetech_07 for your input for my other post. I feel a lot better. The unit is only 5 yrs old, and the receipt said defrost control board, there was a loose terminal at Y2. This is all new territory to us, we use to have oil heat. We were sort of stuck with...

What are your plans [ 26 Answers ]

She: what are your plans for this evening? Him: I plan to go to the store and pu one item. She: OK, I will talk to you later. Him: OK, talk to you later. Later... She: did you go to the store? Him: nope She: oh if I would have know that I would have invited you over for dinner. Him: why...

We had plans but not now [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have plans once a week every week. Or, go out together you know alone time. So, my girlfriend calls me. Said her girlfriend has two tickets to concert tonight on our date night. My girlfriend is invited and she wants to go so she tells me she is going and if I'm OK with that....

View more questions Search