Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulc4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2003, 03:30 AM
    Computers
    I would like to do a scandisk on my PC. I am told that it is better if I put PC in safe mode first.
    How do I do that?
    Alibaba15 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2003, 01:25 AM
    computers
    Restart your computer. Before you see the windows screen, press and hold either F5 or F8 ( I forgot which one) and select safe mode from the boot menu. You don't need to be in safemode to do a scak disk. Just make sure your screen saver is disabled, you have no programs running, and that basically your computer won't acess the hard drive to do anything other than for scandisk.
    i_love_to_listen Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2003, 06:58 PM
    computers
    What Alibaba said above to start up in safe mode is right. The reason why one may recommend putting the computer in safe mode is because a typical systems has a lot of background processes running which may reset scan disk every few minutes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2003, 10:25 AM
    computers
    Actually it depends on what version of windows you have. The facts are that SCANDISK may hang or stop if it tries to check a sector where a program is currently running or a file is in memory. So you want to close EVERYTHING before running SCANDISK. Opening in Safe Mode (you press F8 btw) loads the bare minimum so it more likely to not interfere. However, if you are running Win 9x (95, 98 or ME) its even better run from by booting to a command prompt. With 95 or 98, choose Restart in MS-DOS mode and type SCANDISK. For Win ME, you have to get the startup menu by pressing F8 and choosing Command Prompt.
    dualcore38130 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 09:56 PM
    When you start your computer bios will come from there keep pressing f8 then dos options will come there chose safemode and press enter and tats it
    Danny_60 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 12:12 PM

Depending on your operating system. I know under Windows 2000 and Windows XP, if you double click "My Computer", right click the drive you want to scan, click "Properties" at the bottom of the selection window, then, under the "Tools" tab select "Check Now" under "Error Checking". If you select one or both Check Disk options( Automatically fix file system errors and/or Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors) you will be provided with the option to run the scandisk the next time you restart your computer system. Select "Yes" and restart your computer. The scan will run at startup and you don't have to mess around with going into safe mode.

You also want to select these two options if running a disk scan anyway.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 01:12 PM

This post was started in 2003
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    this post was started in 2003
    Yeah, hope that scandisk operation isn't STILL running? :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computers [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can hookup one computer to an other computer and download files from one to another even if they are not the same make and how I can do it?

Connecting two computers together [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, just wondering since my cd rom on xp is not working, IS there anyway that I can connect my old PC win 98, 4gb hard drive to my xp and use win 98 cd rom to install program on xp.

Computers [ 4 Answers ]

I connect to the web via broadband. Everything is OK for about 15mins then my browser disconnects. I have deleted and reloaded explorer but the fault remains. I have also downloaded avant browser - no difference. When the browser goes off line it does not effect other programmes such as messenger...

View more questions Search