Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firebird Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Lost external drive after power cut.
    Just had a power cut. After reboot, my external drive does not show up in the 'my computer' bit. Its recognised because it is in the start bar on the bottom of my screen, but have no way of accessing it. Looked in computer management to see if it needed formatting, but its not showing up there either. Worried I've lost all my files on there completely. If anyone can help me out, please answer in very basic as I am not really computer minded. Much appreciated.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 13, 2005, 01:37 PM
    HAve you tried another proper reboot ?
    Failing that check it has power and unplug it from the USB wait a few minutes and then plug it back in again.
    It should be detected and useable.

Nov 13, 2005, 02:12 PM
    Tried reboot. The external hard drive icon still appears in the start bar but nowhere else. In disk management it shows my c drive on the right and the dvd rom drive. Nothing else.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 13, 2005, 02:34 PM
    You'll need to try it in another machine if possible, sounds broken to me!

Nov 13, 2005, 04:30 PM
    Thanks. Tried that too. Same result. So no way of helping it then? Is it dead or can it be formatted? (maybe not, if its not showing up anywhere)
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 14, 2005, 01:43 AM
    Probably worth a quick email to the manufacturers explaining what happened and hinting at a replacement (is it within warranty?). They should tell you whether it's likely to be fried or not.

I'm guessing that the problem came from a small surge just as the power went off, do you have surge protection?

Nov 14, 2005, 02:00 AM
    Yes, it was plugged into a surge protector. I had thought about trying to return it to the shop as its less than a week old, but I live in Spain and the language barriers a bit of a problem.
    I did look under system management, where it shows up with an exclamation mark. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, followed troubleshooter and also tried updating driver, but with no result. It gives me an error (code 10) message.
    Thanks for all your help anyway.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2005, 05:54 AM
    Code 10
    Hi, firebird,
    Microsoft help site says the Code 10 is a message received when the drivers need updating.
    But, since you have tried that already, there is one more thing to try.
    It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.
    You may have already done that, too, by your words of "uninstalling and reinstalling".
    If that doesn't work, then I agree with either emailing or phone calling the manufacturer. It could be bad.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

Help with a external drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have an external hard drive can I install a virus program on it so that I can take it to another system and then run the virus program on that system. Will this be a problem because the drive letter will change or will it not matter because the file structure will not change only the drive...

Video Editing on a External Drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have an external Hardrive and would like to use it for Video Editing, when I Try to install software i.e. nero 6 suite, it always goes to my exsisting Drive Which is very nearly full. Is there anyway I can use my external Drive for this purpose. Many thanks ronat75.

View more questions Search