Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stacia Lee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Growing Sunflower seeds
    My husband and I foolishly planted some sunflower seeds a couple of weeks ago (just for fun and not thinking they would ever survive) and they are growing taller and taller every day. Will they need supports to survive the fall and winter or do I simply let them grow taller and taller, transplanting them into bigger pots as needed? Also, will they need a grow light or will sparse winter sun be enough for them to survive until Spring? Please help us save our new friends!

Thank you,

Stacia Lee
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 11:57 PM
    Where do you live? If it's not an environment where it's summery/warm all year, they will just die in the winter if they are outside.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 12:12 AM
    I agree with the answer above. It would help to know where you live.
    Stacia Lee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 03:00 PM
    We live in South Texas where the temperature rarely approaches freezing. Our thought was to leave them indoors until Spring and then transplant them outdoors.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Are they currently indoors? If not, they will not last through the winter.

Either way, sunflowers have a rather short lifespan. Enjoy them while they are inside (they may not bloom however, they need TONS of light. And plant new ones in the spring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who can eat pepper seeds [ 5 Answers ]

Can the seeds in red peppers be eaten

Planting Sunflower seeds [ 4 Answers ]

My Daughter wants to grow Sunflowers. We have the planting seed mixture. I understand the instructions to a certain point - everything except this part: It says to plant seeds 6 inches apart. Then it says to thin seedlings to stand 12 to 18 inches apart when they are 3 inches high... ...

Are Pepper Seeds Poisonous? [ 10 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if pepper (as in the red / green / yellow / orange variety) seeds are poisonous? I've been told it by a couple of people but I'm not sure whether to believe them or not!

Where can I buy herb seeds? [ 3 Answers ]

Obviously, the medicinal use herbs. I would like to grow my own and do some little experiments. The Chinese stores do not carry seeds.

View more questions Search