Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deannwilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Dogs don't get along
    How do I get my 3 yr old chihuahua to accept my 3 month old Italian Greyhound? The puppy is smaller than the chihuahua, but he acts scared of the puppy. He tries to bite him if he is too close and shows his teeth when he is around. Help, please!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 05:03 PM
    By the time they are 3 years old, many dogs lose interest in puppy biting games. In addition, many dogs are not thrilled to be sharing their territory, home, and worst of all, their people with a new dog. I would work at teaching the puppy to leave the older dog alone just as you teach it to leave many of your other possessions alone. It isn't easy. We have been fighting Xanthe ever since we got her 2 weeks ago to leave our 14 year old Lab alone. Much of the time, we just put Aster in the living room beyond the gate that protects everything else in the living room.

Damaged possessions are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy. When you are watching it, immediately correct it as soon as it goes for anything except its own toys. In a quiet, but firm voice give it an ''Ah, ah, ah!''. Gently remove what ever and replace it with one of her toys, or if older, hold eye contact until the puppy drops it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Too Many Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have five dogs. The first one we got is a Yorkie/lasa mix His name is Teddy, he is about 18 months. We then got a Yorkie, Benjie, he is just a year+ then came a little Poodle, Peep and her brother Mr Brown, they will be one on February 1st. I am having a problem house training them all....

Dogs bloodline [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to go to research your dogs bloodline?:confused:

Dogs health [ 2 Answers ]

WE have a 10 year old Female Beagle who stopped eating about five days ago. She drinks a lot and is in good sprits.

View more questions Search