Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Annemarsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Engagement Party Invitation
    I have been dating a man for 2 years. He is divorced and his second wife, now divorced wife, is hosting an engagement party for their daughter. I have never met his ex-wife, but have met his daughter several times. Since I will be visiting him on the weekend of the party, his daughter invited me to the family enagement part to be held at her mother's home. He would like for me to attend with him but I suggested that I cancel my visit until a more convient weekend. He then wanted me to visit, but spend the evening alone while he goes to the engagement party without me. I think this is an important occasion for his dauthter, son-in-law and their families, and think that my presence in town would change his plans or the dynamic. What is the proper ediquette for this situation?
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Nov 3, 2007, 08:53 AM
    First off I think its great that you understand the importance of this event for his daughter. I do not think the first meeting of his ex wife should be at the event. Is there a way to meet her prior to this party. If not I think you would be wise to choose a different weekend for your visit. And since his daughter did invite you a hand wriiten note of congratultions and well wishes is called for.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
    If his daughter invited you, then you should assume you are welcome and proceed if you are comfortable. If you're uncomfortable, simply excuse yourself with an RSVP to his daughter directly.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 03:33 PM
    I think you must also consider the relationship your boyfriend has with his ex. Are they friendly? Do they dislike each other? Are they civil to one another because of their daughter, or was their divorce mutually agreed upon and amicable? If there is still tension between him and her, your presence would certainly add to it and there's no reason to do that. On the other hand, if they are friendly, she may not mind you being there and may be looking forward to meeting you. Make sure whatever you decide is something you are comfortable with, and as suggested above, RSVP to the daughter directly, and a written note of thanks and congrats would be very appropriate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engagement Party Speech [ 1 Answers ]

My mom is throwing my fiancé and I an engagement party this weekend. We'd like to thank everyone for coming and being a part of the wedding, etc. etc. Does anyone have any good ideas for a toast to our guests? Also... we have been secretly house hunting and found a new house. Our families know but...

Invitation [ 4 Answers ]

If there is no phone number on the invitation to respond to and the invitation says "The favor of a reply is requested" does that mean you have to hand write a response? Blueeyes

My Niece's Engagement Party [ 2 Answers ]

My niece has asked me to be the master of ceremonies at her egagement party. Could anyone with experience give me guidance or suggest an order of proceedings. Also some ideas to include in introduction/speeches. Thank you.:)

Engagement party [ 1 Answers ]

Does the groom have to make a speech at the engagement party?

Engagement Party Speech [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, I am the father of the bride and I need help with my engagement speech, I have about a month too think about my speech. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or previous speeches that they have used. Thank you for your help gyoder_1 :)

View more questions Search