Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2005, 03:16 AM
    Confession
    I was brought up Catholic. With the confession box. I was forced to go to confession growing up as a kid and felt bad going in there even though the only thing that I confessed was sometimes I did not listen to my parents. What else did I need to confess. Now that I am older it seems to me that confession is as taught in catholic churches is or was too extreme. As well, why confess to a priest. The priest can not forgive us.. Why should we not confess all our sins to God himself?

Any thoughts?

Joe :confused:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2005, 03:30 AM
    Catholics
    Hi,
    I am not a Catholic, but am a Christian in the Church of Christ. So, please forgive me if I don't really know the Catholic Doctrine. I do know a little.
    A Priest believes that by confessing one's sins through him, then one is talking through him to God. You will receive many answers to your question, and hopefully, someone will clear up that part, if I am wrong.
    It's all in the way you have been "brought up", and in what you believe. I pray to God, asking for forgiveness for my sins every day. You can also pray to God, and also go to Confession, if you wish.
    I see nothing wrong in that, but again, I'm not Catholic.
    If you do go to Mass every week, then I would continue going to Confession.
    If you don't participate in Mass often, then I would definitely pray to God.
    Just keep your faith, never let it go. When it comes down to it, it's all we have.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 08:09 AM
    For a start:

James 5:16
    16Therefore confess your sins to each other

John 20:23 (Jesus speaks to his Disciples)
    23 If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.

Of course the Bible does not tell us to NOT confess to God in prayer, but it at least gives some food for thought...
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Nov 17, 2005, 12:37 PM
    1Pet 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;.

Perhaps since God calls us all priests who know him this is why we should confess our sins one to another. I am not sure if this is how the Catholic church came to this conclusion but I don't think it meant for us to confess our sins to the priests as if they can forgive our sins. If they say "your sins are forgiven" as they have confidence that God has forgiven them that is one thing. It has been a long time since I went to the Catholic church but it doesn't seem like that is the reason.

Confessing your sins to other believer doesn't necessarily make you forgiven, it does allow us to be verbal about our sin and even compassionate that we disobeyed God.

Rom 10:9 confess the Lord Jesus Christ.... Why do we need to verbally accept the Lord. I think God understands that since we are human we need to verbally acknowledge.

I hope this makes since and gives insight.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 01:51 PM
    1 Peter 2:9 has no connection with Christ's words to his Disciples in John 20:23.

I am curious to ask Protestants here: Without consulting a concordance, what does it mean to you that Christ said to his Disciples "If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven"?

Now, I am always all for taking verses in context, so here is the section:

Jesus Appears to His Disciples
    19On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 20After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.
    21Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 22And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

Look at how unusual this sequence of events is. Can one really not see that something very special and unique was given to the Disciples that day?
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Nov 17, 2005, 05:58 PM
    I was not trying to connect John 20:23 with 1 Pet 2:9. I was hoping to give another view point as far as the priests were concerned.

Jesus Appears to His Disciples
    19On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 20After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.
    21Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 22And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

Look at how unusual this sequence of events is. Can one really not see that something very special and unique was given to the Disciples that day?

This made me think that maybe the Catholic priests have something here about a special calling. I still think they miss the point for what their role is priest really is. It is something to study though. Perhaps, I amy be missing the whole point to this discussion. I apologize if I am.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2005, 06:12 PM
    forgiveness
    Well the bible tells us to confess our sins one to another

Next though the authority given to the Apostles to bind on earth as in heaven ( called by the Church the Keys of the Kingdom)

The Priest acting on his authority given to the Apostles by Christ.
    This is conditional on the actual repentance of the one asking to be forgiven. Christ does the forgiveness ( we can not go directly to God, since we are sinners and have to have a mediator, which is Christ)

Confession is one of the things done changed by protestant churches
    but it is seen in all the Original churches, Orthodox and Catholic.
    Even the Protestant churches ( most of them) have keep forgiveness in some form or level. It is now a repetitive prayer holding little meaning to those merely reading it each week. Then the preacher tells them Christ has forgiven them. The "newer" verson hold little real value to those today. Those using confession properly can find a peace and also some good sound advice.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 03:35 AM
    John 20:23
    jduke44, I realize I should not have assumed you were responding to my post just because it was after it.

I enjoy seeing the thoughts of all.

Fr_Chuck summarizes nearly as I would have; and most valuably "Those using confession properly can find a peace and also some good sound advice."

Important to note, too, is his comment "Christ does the forgiveness". I like to describe a Priest's role as "affirming forgiveness". No man has the power to forgive sin - but Christ forgives sin through the Priest.

Jesushelper76, do you think Catholics misinterpret John 20:23?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confession [ 2 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Emphasis is often placed on obtaining a confession, or at least an admission, from a suspect in a criminal inquiry. Under what conditions is a confession of greatest value? Of no value?

View more questions Search