Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Graves_Christy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 09:40 AM
    New here.questions about breast pain, breast lumps
    Hello All! My name is Christy. I am 25 years old. I had my beautiful daughter 15 months ago... that was when I first discovered something was wrong. :confused: When my daughter was 6 weeks old, I felt a lump in my right breast. I thought for sure it was a clogged milk duct. I went in for my 6 week check up several days later. When I told my OB/GYN she felt around and told me that wasn't what it was... she referred me to another doctor. When I saw that doctor, he too felt around and told me for sure it was a lump, with my age most likely benign. He sent me in for an ultrasound.

A little history here... my maternal Grandmother had breast cancer, my great-paternal aunt had breast cancer, my paternal aunt just recently had a masectomy due to breast cancer. My Mother suffers from cysts, and at 12 years of age, I too discovered that I would suffer from cysts as well!

I went into the ultrasound (I was nursing, couldn't have a mammogram done) sure that it was a cyst... turns out it wasn't! The tech had to go get the doctor, he then told me it was a solid mass, they would have to biopsy it. The worry set in, but what could I do? The biopsy was done, turns out it was just a fibroadenoma. I wanted it out, but I wanted to continue nursing. At 11 months I stopped nursing my daughter and was looking forward to getting the surgery done! I then thought I felt another lump in the same breast. I had my pre-op appointment which resulted in getting another ultrasound... they couldn't find anything. The doctor thinks I was just feeling tissue... maybe my ribs were pushing up and that is what I felt... okay, whatever, they couldn't find anything, that is good... right? Well, things got busy... we had our daughter's 1st birthday, summer was crazy busy. I want this surgery done before the holidays. About a week ago, I started feeling pain in my right breast. In one specific area I feel it. I hasn't gone away. :( I have called the doctor and I have an appointment in several days.

I guess my question is this... should I get another opinion? Could there be something there that no one is catching? I don't want to worry... but I can't help it! I will get this surgery done soon... but I want to make sure I am doing everything I possibly can! Please, if there is anyone out there that can help to answer my questions, I would be very grateful! Thank you! :)
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 21, 2007, 01:59 PM
    If you are worried then, yes, get a second opinion.

It is possible for doctors to miss breast lumps. It happened to me before. I went to one doctor who rudely told me there was nothing there and I was "being paranoid". I went to another doctor two days later. She had trouble finding the lump at first, but when I pointed it out to her, she could feel it. It was just small and soft, so it was easy to miss. It turned out to be totally benign. In my case it was a swollen lymph node caused by infection.

But, I was really glad I went because it gave me peace of mind. And, if it had been cancer, at least I would have known early on, instead of waiting a year for my annual exam. You know your body better than anyone else. If you are worried, by all means have someone take another look. Ask friends and relatives to suggest doctors who are very thorough and who listen to their patients. I hope you are OK! I know it automatically freaks you out when something changes like that. Good luck!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Yes, please get a second, third, or fourth opinion if you have to.

This happened to me too. I was 28 at the time I first found the lump. I was told it was a fibroid. I trusted the doctor so I went about my business.

Three years later I woke up with pain in my right breast and a rather large lump. I went the doctor who told me that I was too young for breast cancer, it was not in my family history, and that breast cancer does not hurt. Actually I was told that by 7 doctors until, at that 7th doctor I stood up and spoke out.

I told him that he was my employee, and, as such, I was requesting a biopsy of the lump, and if he wouldn't biopsy it, I would find a doctor who would. Well, a week later I went back to that 7th doctor for the results of the fine needle biopsy. The biopsy results were "suspicious cells" and I was rushed to a surgeon for another biopsy done under general anesthesia. The results of that biopsy came back positive for breast cancer. When I asked the surgeon if he had any idea how long I had had the cancer I about DIED!! He proceeded to tell me that I had had that cancerous lump growing for approximately 3 years.

Now, if that first doctor did a little more than just a regular breast exam then I most likely would not have had to have a bilateral radical mastectomy at the age of 32.

Please, please get this checked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breast Pain [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. I have had breast pain in my left breast for 11 months now. It is not premenstrual. It doesn't go away. I can barely wash in the shower. I have had a mammogram and ultrasound and they both came back negative for anything. My doctor can't give me any answers either. Does anyone have any...

Breast questions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering is it OK for breasts to ever have an orangish tint color and dimpling sometimes and thick spots sometimes?my breasts do this sometimes bt it goes away.. do I have breast cancer?I'm scared about this I haven't read anything good about it.

Breast pain... please help [ 1 Answers ]

Hiii... I got Breast pain since 5 days before my periods and 7 days after conception 2 days before my periods date, I am getting a brownish discharge... what could be the reason? Could I be pregnant? But in doctor's office 3 days ago it showed a negative result... doctor said it is too early...

Breast Pain [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on Depo-Ralovera for 7 years, 2 months ago the doctor took me off the injections because my bone density test came back abnormal, which was a little concerning but now that I have come off the injections my breasts are really sore and feel almost swollen, they feel as though they are...

View more questions Search