Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chief1260 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 02:15 AM
    401k and SPD
    Can an employer not allow you to rollover your 401k after you leave the company? If the summary plan documents don't allow for rollover is that legal? Also, another former employee of same former employer found out after trying to rollover his money that the rollover check goes to the President of this same company before going to the new investment firm. What happened is the President of this company sent it back to the current investment firm, does the President handling this money constitute a violation of 401k rules?
    JRNote08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1260
    Can an employer not allow you to rollover your 401k after you leave the company? If the summary plan documents don't allow for rollover is that legal? Also, another former employee of same former employer found out after trying to rollover his money that the rollover check goes to the President of this same company before going to the new investment firm. What happened is the President of this company sent it back to the current investment firm, does the President handling this money constitute a violation of 401k rules?
    401(k) and rollover, distribution criteria, etc. are heavily regulated by the IRS due to their pre-tax components. I would contact the 401(k) company directly for rollover provisions and have the summary plan document available. Perhaps your company has some vesting provisions on the "employer" portion of your 401(k) that terminating employment (with for example less than 5yrs of service) returns those dollars to the employer. Hope this helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2007, 06:19 AM
    No, the former employer cannot dictate whether the money is rolled over into an IRA or a successor plan. If you are having trouble, report it to the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Looking for 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Is the only way to track down a 401K from a old job to go back to the employer? What if the employer no longer exists?

Quote on 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 and var spd Trane Blower [ 2 Answers ]

I was just quoted on a 2nd floor A/C replacement, condenser and var speed blower, 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 with upgrade options. Live in CT Are these prices sane ? Includes removal of old unit, upgrade of refrig line, added insulation on old ductwork - work to be done in walkup attic Quote...

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was let go by a company 3years ago I have a 401k plan there. I am wondering if I can withdraw these funds at this time.

1998 Honda Accord 5-spd transmission [ 1 Answers ]

I drive to work each day and often get caught up in heavy traffic or very slow moving traffic. After constantly using the clucth in this type of traffic, the clutch seems to "fade" away to the point that the car will hardly move. Once traffic resumes and I get moving, the clutch comes back and...

View more questions Search