Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retiredmanvan Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Nov 1, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Searching the Bible
    I am searching the Bible for all sections concerning Witches, Warlocks, Or any information related things we know as Halloween. Any help will be appreciated

Van
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 11:19 PM
    There is nothing in the Bible that is anti-Halloween since Halloween wasn't known about during Bible times. Any mention of witches in the Bible has nothing to do with Halloween. Please instead research the history and meaning of Halloween and All Saints' Day to find out the reason for the witches and such.

Also, Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on Halloween, 1517. Find out why.
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Nov 2, 2007, 04:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    There is nothing in the Bible that is anti-Halloween since Halloween wasn't known about during Bible times. Any mention of witches in the Bible has nothing to do with Halloween. Please instead research the history and meaning of Halloween and All Saints' Day to find out the reason for the witches and such.

Also, Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on Halloween, 1517. Find out why.

Actually, the Bible, in several places specifically instructs us to refrain from any kind of spiritistic activity, including fortune-telling, looking for omens, contacting spirit mediums to "contact the dead", and so forth. Halloween is a pagan holiday/celebration that is based on the false religious beliefs of people having immortal souls, and people offering treats to appease the spirits of the dead that may come back. The Bible is most definitely against all that Halloween is about.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrascal
    Actually, the Bible, in several places specifically instructs us to refrain from any kind of spiritistic activity, including fortune-telling, looking for omens, contacting spirit mediums to "contact the dead", and so forth. Halloween is a pagan holiday/celebration that is based on the false religious beliefs of people having immortal souls, and people offering treats to appease the spirits of the dead that may come back. The Bible is most definitely against all that Halloween is about.
    Interesting post considering your avatar is a representation of a devil.
    -

Nov 2, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Interesting post considering your avatar is a representation of a devil.
    I suggest you get educated in popular culture... it is a Star Wars character.
    -

Nov 2, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    You are full of good advice and your wife is so blessed to have a husband like you
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 05:03 AM
    I suggest you get educated in popular culture.....it is a Star Wars character.
    It's also a red fella with horns - how is the devil usually personified?
    -

Nov 2, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It's also a red fella with horns - how is the devil usually personified?
    It has nothing to do with the Devil. Move on or at least address the user's question.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Nov 2, 2007, 06:48 AM
    I use the site BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 50 versions and 35 languages. for searches. You can enter keywords or look up whole passages. Enter a few words like mediums, and witchcraft and see what you get.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Halloween is a pagan holiday/celebration that is based on the false religious beliefs of people having immortal souls, and people offering treats to appease the spirits of the dead that may come back.
    Please research the ENTIRE history of Halloween.

People having immortal souls is a false religious belief?
    -

Nov 2, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Please research the ENTIRE history of Halloween.

People having immortal souls is a false religious belief?
    Please research the ENTIRE history of Halloween... yourself.

Yes, the belief in an immortal soul is a false religious belief. Genesis 2:7 - When God created man, man became a soul, it doesn't say he was given one.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Nov 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
    We still live for eternity. Where in eternity is another question.
    Please research the ENTIRE history of Halloween.....yourself.

Yes, the belief in an immortal soul is a false religious belief. Genesis 2:7 - When God created man, man became a soul, it doesn't say he was given one.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Nov 2, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Here's an example of sorcerers in the bible. Not exactly witch or warlock material, but I'm guessing it might be similar to what you're looking for.

Exodus 7:10 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the LORD commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake. 11 Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts: 12 Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake. But Aaron's staff swallowed up their staffs. 13 Yet Pharaoh's heart became hard and he would not listen to them, just as the LORD had said.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Nov 2, 2007, 04:41 PM
    For a belief to be true or false, there must be fact to substantiate either claim. There simply is no human being who is qualified to declare other peoples' religious beliefs as true or false.

It's surprising that supposedly intelligent people can make such asinine statements.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Please research the ENTIRE history of Halloween... yourself.
    Sorry, Charlie. You're telling that to the wrong person. I lucked out being born on Luther's birthday, so the story of his nailing of the 95 theses and the meaning of Halloween was a story entwined with the story of my birth, told by my minister father. (My birthday's next week, so don't forget to send me a card!)

Of course! Man became a living soul because man IS a living soul. It isn't a thing, a possession, and doesn't exist in a place in the body. It isn't something you can lay on the table and cut apart.

Man IS a living soul means man = soul.
    -

Nov 2, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Sorry, Charlie. You're telling that to the wrong person. I lucked out being born on Luther's birthday, so the story of his nailing of the 95 theses and the meaning of Halloween was a story entwined with the story of my birth, told by my minister father. (My birthday's next week, so don't forget to send me a card!)

Of course! Man became a living soul because man IS a living soul. It isn't a thing, a possession, and doesn't exist in a place in the body. It isn't something you can lay on the table and cut apart.

Man IS a living soul means man = soul.
    So you're saying you agree with me? If someone believes that there's a soul within them, something that departs their body and floats off somewhere, that belief is contrary to what the Bible has to say.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Yes, dear. Man IS a soul.

Silentrascal = soul. WG = soul. You and I are distinct and separate persons; you and I are distinct and separate souls.

A soul is not a thing, not a three-dimensional object like a liver or a kidney but is an immaterial entity. It is who you are.
    retiredmanvan Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Nov 4, 2007, 02:34 AM
    Some of these answers are getting way out of hand. I have been searching my Bible for some text to support my question and so far I found "Acts 8: 9-24". Can any one else locate some similar texts?
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmanvan
    I am searching the Bible for all sections concerning Witches, Warlocks, Or any information related things we know as Halloween. Any help will be appreciated

Van
    Deut 18:10-12
    10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
    11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
    12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
    KJV

Ex 22:18
    18 "You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
    NKJV

Isa 57:3
    3 "But come here,
    You sons of the sorceress,
    You offspring of the adulterer and the harlot!
    NKJV

Acts 13:6-9
    6 Now when they had gone through the island to Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew whose name was Bar-Jesus, 7 who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, an intelligent man. This man called for Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God. 8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so his name is translated) withstood them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith.
    NKJV
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3

Ex 22:18
    18 "You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
    NKJV
    So if you find such a person you are compelled to kill her?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bible Education [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW :confused:

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

What does te Bible say about. [ 7 Answers ]

What does the Bible have to say about Marijuana smoking? I would love to know if it's a sin (I assume it is) and why... if anyone could help I would appreciate it! Thanks .

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search