Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kewlpal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 09:46 PM
    Sign on bonus
    Hi ,
    Like most of the members my question is I had a sign on bonus of $5000/ when I joined this new job .The total sign on bonus was for $10000/ which has been split into 2 $5000/ for a contract of 2 years now its almost going to be a year (I joined this company on jan 31 of 2007) and I am about to turn in my 2 weeks notice and by that time it would be mid or later November due to some of the critical promises that they made me when offered the job have not been fulfilled until now and there is another company that has shown interest and given in writing to take care of those issues effective immediately .My question is when I leave this company A do I need to return the entire amount of $5000/ (which was 2300 post taxes)? Or not as I have been with them for almost a year just waiting for an answer about the promise made on my hiring date? Please help me in understanding the options that I have at this juncture.Appreciate your help.
    Regards,
    Raj
    CindyLynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Nov 12, 2007, 01:18 AM
    Depends on the state in which you work. Most states are work at will states, which means that even if you signed a contract it legally means nothing. Louisiana, Texas, and California are examples of states where these contract mean nothing and sign on bonuses are really just gifts. In work at will states money cannot be given in exchange for work contracts. So if you can tell us which state you are in we can help tell you if you will have to give anything back at all.
    johnwang9999 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 12:02 AM
    Is NY considered "work-at-will"?

As I understand it, this is what "work-at-will" means: if someone signs a contract stating that they'll pay back the sign-on bonus if they leave within a year, they're not legally obliged to repay the sign-on bonus even if they leave before the year is up? Is that right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

Sign on Bonus [ 2 Answers ]

Should my Sign on Bonus be taxed in the check or should I take care of it myself at the end of the year?

Sign On Bonus [ 1 Answers ]

How do I ask or negoiate a sign on bonus?

What to do with a Sign-on-bonus [ 1 Answers ]

Can I have my sign on bonus given for 2006 tax year even though I started working January 8th, 2007? I don't like how my $5000 sign on bonus reads: 10% simple interest if I do not stay 3 years, payable upon termination, and that if they took me to court I may have to pay their court costs. I...

View more questions Search