Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    voniewebster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
    My son needs his new dad to be dad
    Can antone tell me if my partner can adopt my son. His natural father has never been around he's not on the birth certificate, it just states father unknown. I don't know where he is or how to contract him. When I was pregnant he want a test to prove if he was the dad or not which was never done
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Is your partner your husband? The only way he can adopt your son would be if you two are married. Even then, there is a legal process to this all. So you need an attorney. The biological parent needs to terminate his rights. So you need an attorney. Even if you say that this guy has not been a Dad, you need an attorney to make sure all the avenues have been taken and all is legal.

Did I say you need an attorney?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Vonnie,

First, how old is the child? Have you spoken with both parties (assuming your son is old enough to understand what you are saying) and do they agree with the adoption.

Is your partner a female or a male? Are you married? How have you been supporting yourself and the child with the sperm donor out of the picture?

Personally, if I were your attorney, I'd begin by advising you to go to your state's Child Protective Services Division and launch a case for child support. They will find him and hold him accountable.

Then depending on your answers to the above questions we can go from there
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 07:21 PM
    First in many areas no you do not have to be married to your partner, but they may require a committed relationship. This is true since in many areas gay couples can also adopt. After that you will need to attempt to find the bio father to get them to sign over their rights, if you can not find him, there will be requirements for posting it, before you proceed in court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son wants to live with his dad? [ 16 Answers ]

my son is 14 yrs. Old he has a good life with me and his sister and stepdad. He is an honor student in school and on the high school football team. The problem is we live in Ohio his dad lives in Missouri, we moved here five yrs' ago, we own our home and both have been on or jobs for yrs. He visits...

My stepdaughter dad, isn't really her dad, and I want to adopt her [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I are trying to get some insight on how to go about telling her exhusband that I want to adopt her /his daughter, 8yrs old with him knowing that he wasn't really the father in the first place. He agreed to raise her knowing that he wasn't her real dad, ( bio is completely out of the...

My 12 year old son wants to live with his dad [ 4 Answers ]

My sons father and I have been apart for almost 8 years. After about a year and a half I met someone and we have been together since. We have a 5 year old son together and my 12 year old adores his baby brother. My 12 year olds father is a great dad and has always taken care of what he has to as a...

Can stepmom keep my son every other week while his dad is overseas? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I have shared custody and our son spends one week with each of us, changing every Friday. He is getting deployed to Afghanistan in August for 6 months and he wants the custody rotation to stay the same, even though he won't even be here. He wants his wife, my son's stepmom, to have him...

Son gets disabilty from dad [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 17 he gets disabilty through his dad. He did live with mom. He went to stay with dad 1 month ago. The dad now wants his disabilty to go to him. I think my son will move back with me. What do I do.

View more questions Search