Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Leave it to my son!
    Some of you from answerway know my youngest is in Iraq. He finally sent some pics home and I knew this pic was his work right off the bat. Now you see why I am scared for him?
    I ain't counting on any Pres to bring them home! Not even Hillary.
    I think a lot of the issues the Presidents debate over are non issues cause they either
    Flip/flop---like Kerry did and now Hillary is doing AND/OR
    Say what 'their side' wants to hear to get the vote and then do as THEY please.
    What is the point in it all? Until we get somebody that is really a patriotic BY the people,
    FOR the people, nothing is really going to get fixed. But then that would be a rough one too because we still do have two sides here The liberals and the conservatives. Yet the politicians really don't satisfy either side. Will we ever see a day when we can just truly enjoy being patriotic Americans without all the political garbage? I doubt it!
    Attached Images

tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Obviously you can't send ice ;But make sure you send plenty of M&Ms in any care package you send . My cousin says that is almost as good as $$$$$$$ there .
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 1, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Hello, Nohelp4U.

First of all, that picture is really funny. Your son has a great sense of humor.

Please wish him my best blessings, and let him know that there are still a few of us around that support him and his mission.

As for the rest of your comments, I would say that you are correct. The politicians say what they think we want to hear, and then do as they please... all of them do that, on both sides of the aisle.

So the idea is to figure out what they really believe. You do that based on their voting records and legislative records. You do that based on their response under pressure, when the chips are down. And you take that information and use it to determine who's REAL desires most closely mirror your own, and vote on that basis. That way, you get a guy who's going to do the things you want done, even if its purely for his own selfish reasons.

That's my take on how to work within the system.

Elliot
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I want to send him stuff but don't know what all they are allowed to receive :(
    I send packages to Iraq now and then .
    Here are some thoughts

Snack foods, drink mixes, or anything that can keep well without refrigeration. Tuna ,basically any alternative to Army food. Coffee, sugar, and creamer are always in short supply. Find out if they have a coffee maker, and if not send instant. Even if he doesn't like coffee much, like M&Ms ,it is a great tradable
    Toiletries aren't too hard to come by anymore, but if there is a particular brand he uses that's not available over there, send it .
    Phone cards, envelopes, and postage stamps Find out first what type of phones are available; some use regular phone cards while others have to use a certain provider's card.
    Most base camps now have electricity,send new DVDs,batteries of all types are needed but especially AAs for portable CD and MP3 players .Magazines are always good; send ones you know he likes If there's a website he visits regularly (such as news, sports, etc.) then print out some articles and include those too.
    Anything that helps him stay connected to home is great. If he misses a holiday or a bunch of his friends be sure to send lots of pictures . Get his friends involved .You could ask him what you should send too . Don't worry about ruining the surprise.
    Don't fret too much about what to send; just send something. Just as important as what's in the package is that you thought enough to send one, and that connection to home is priceless. If he lives in a remote camp that only gets mail a few times a month, there is nothing worse than mail day coming and going without receiving anything. If it's a choice between one big package once, and several small packages often, go for small more often . In fact it is better if you send smaller packages . Get together with a group of family or friends and take turns each week sending a package. My cousin likes to trade using beef jerky , pretzels and M&Ms and powdered gatorade .
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 09:23 AM
    I told him to send me a list of what I am allowed to mail him.
    I didn't know they were allowed to receive food. I think I will send him the coffee, M&M's, Tootsie rolls and jerky. (Turkey jerky for Thanksgiving ;) he loved Tootsie rolls when he was a kid.
    His calls come through some provider from Maryland. He doesn't get to call much.
    I should find this article to send to him on one of his teachers getting let go because he stapled a post it note on a students head.

Thank you S0 much Tomdear! And
    God bless you, your wife and daughter!
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 1, 2007, 10:26 AM
    According to a well-publicized letter from Capt. Moses Scheinfeld from 2004, our soldiers always appreciate the following items in a care package:

Dried fruit,
    Popcorn,
    Candy (hard, soft),
    Pez and Pez dispensers,
    Gum,
    Cakes,
    M & M's,
    Coffee (ground coffee, Starbucks would be greatly appreciated, soldiers love and live on coffee!! ),
    White exercise socks,
    Gold Bond powder,
    Magazines,
    Newspapers,
    Soft cover books,
    Anything else you can think of to surprise our soldiers.

Moses is a friend of the family and a career soldier (a Special Fores guy, no less), so I trust his word.

Elliot
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Nov 1, 2007, 11:16 AM
    My two favorites--whether I was in the jungle or the desert--were baby powder and Copenhagen. Socks are ALWAYS great--the cushier and more moisture-absorbant the better. Any good outdoors store will have some good stuff. They're a bit pricey, but absolutely worth their weight in gold.

Please send along my blessings and my pride in him.
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Nov 1, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Good ideas everyone, I have a friend in Iraq and I'll remember to send him some of this stuff. Nohelp4u, I salute your son and wow, a school where teachers staple notes to students heads! That story made my day, crazy stuff
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Has anybody got an unused, old guitar or other musical instrument that's just sitting in the corner or taking up shelf space?
    Do you want to send it over to our troops to play with? It'll distract them from being so far away. I've got a guitar that taught me that while I love music, just can't play music!

Contributions of dollars, musical instruments, etc. can be sent to:

Operation Happy Note
    Address: 122 E. Lincoln Ave.
    Fergus Falls, MN 56537
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Nov 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
    NH4U-

Looks like a fine vibrant young man that you raised. I thank him for his service and display of duty with a chin up. I know it's not easy. These soldiers are far from a warm loving home and family. My brother, almost forty years of age, lacks about three years from military retirement. Early in his career he served in the Navy, but the majority of his time in the Army. He's also currently in Iraq and has been there several times. In fact he even went once under Bush Sr..

G-d bless,
    Bobby
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 04:30 AM
    I agree with you, NoHelp, the candidates can say anything and promise everything but the proof comes in the pudding and we all know how that turns out too many times. My prayers for your son and his unit. That they remain safe and come home to their families.

When my youngest brother was in Iraq he got the care packages from home but he said what he loved were the ones his kids and my oldest son used to put together for him. They would buy wrestling magazines (big WWF fan), candy, game boy and games, and music and lots of pictures.
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Nov 2, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Nohelp4u:
    You'll find this funny if you haven't already seen it. It's a spoof on Iraq. YouTube - Madtv - Apple I-rack

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know when to leave [ 10 Answers ]

:( I have been with this man for years and I have been unhappy for about ten but I have been tiring to make it work he has no job we have a six year old son and he has been very mean to me ever since he found out I cheated but the only reason I did was one time with a old friend I knew for years...

How do I just leave him alone [ 34 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend are on a break... I feel so vulnerable and sad that I just called him today and we ended up arguing because he said he just needs some space and I don't know how to give it to him, and of course like an idiot I was the one who suggested the space but now I'm scared and getting...

Should I leave him [ 11 Answers ]

He didn't call me. He just wrote to me during summer vacation two letters. He came to school to visit me once, for which it took him one hour. I can't feel loved! Should I leave him? He said "i love you." He kissed me and hugged me. Is it love? I am lost.

10 year old son doesn't want me to leave his abusive father [ 6 Answers ]

I have been in an abusive marriage for ten years. . I have made the decision to leave my husband. I have three wonderful children, whom I have talked to about the upcoming separation. My two young girls seemed to handle it well. My 10 year old son , however, is having a difficult time with this. He...

Should I leave him? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been married since one year, but we never lived together as he was a student. So I stayed with my parents. Also our marriage is not revealed to any of our relatives, friends yet. After few months I migrated to another country for my further studies and he stayed back as he has started...

View more questions Search