Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prairie son Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2007, 03:57 AM
    Praying for Divine Intervention
    If as Christians we truly believe that God controls our destiny----controls the whole world actually and has the power to unleash natural disasters and plagues and that His will will always be done-----------Then why do we pray? If your days on this earth are numbered and your time is up what good is it going to do to ask for divine intervention? Does anyone actually believe that prayer can change God's mind? My faith is being tested-----I am slowly beginning to wonder why I ask for God's help if it's all already written in stone.
    Thanks,
    Prairie Son:(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 04:28 AM
    You know what they say: Nothing is more certain then death and taxes. You absolutely know for sure when your time is up you are going to die. Resignation is the key word here, so live your life to the fullest and enjoy the days you have on earth. I would think, because you say you are a christian, you pray to go to heaven instead of hell.

Understanding death is never more evident as when you have said goodbye to someone you love and you know positively you will never see again, if only in your dreams.
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Nov 1, 2007, 04:29 AM
    Well, the Bible makes it clear that it was with God's creative power that Jesus was able to create the world and the universe, but the Bible also makes it clear that this world today is under, not God's control, but Satan's. In fact, Satan is called "the god of this system of things" in the scriptures. Of course, God is much more powerful than Satan and he is a just god, so Satan's control over this world, while permitted by God, is not going to be permanent by any means. Until God's due time for intervening in man's affairs takes place, true Christians need (now more than ever) to continue to turn to God in prayer for the guidance and direction needed in combating the Satanic influence of the world around us. Prayer isn't about changing God's mind, it's about drawing close to him and demonstrating our full and complete reliance upon him so that we may lead happy and successful lives as best we can now, and as we look forward to the time in the near future when Satanic rule will be done away with forever. By all means continue to pray to God for direction, let him know that you fully realize you need his loving hand upon you for assistance in dealing with the trials of life.

Only a few things are written in stone: (1) God's purpose that this planet be populated with perfect humans enjoying eternal life in a paradise settings will be realized, (2) until God's will is done here on this earth, we will get sick and die (death could be from any means and at any time), and (3) if we are faithful and obedient to God in our lives, not conforming to the morality and so-called "wisdom" and philosophies of this world, then if we should die, we have the hope of a resurrection to life in the paradise.

All of us are endowed with free will. We have the choice to make as to whether our lives will be spent in recognizing the benefits of living by God's standards (benefits right now and eternal benefits for the future), or whether we will use our lives to get what WE want for ourselves, doing "our own thing" and neglecting God (which will ultimately be to our everlasting detriment).
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by prairie son
    If as Christians we truly believe that God controls our destiny----controls the whole world actually and has the power to unleash natural disasters and plagues and that His will will always be done-----------Then why do we pray? If your days on this earth are numbered and your time is up what good is it going to do to ask for divine intervention? Does anyone actually believe that prayer can change God's mind? My faith is being tested-----I am slowly beginning to wonder why I ask for God's help if it's all already written in stone.
    Thanks,
    I suppose it depends on what you mean by "help". If you mean an unbroken stream of pleasant events and happy outcomes, then, of course, it's silly. If you mean learning to see the spiritual value in even the unpleasant events and unhappy outcomes that are inevitable in this life, then there may be a point to it.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Thanks,
    It is all in your way of thinking. Everything that happens does happen for a reason. All the storms and natural disasters is a natural process that God created. We also know that humans have done so much damage to this creation. We are part of the reason for these things happening. As far as praying is concerned. Prayer is about building a relationship with God. Communication with God, will only increase our understanding of his will in our lives. Divine intervention, his spirit is within us all. It is up to us to open up to him and communicate, pray and meditate. Also please take a look at my quote at the bottom. It applies to every situation. The things we think are evil or bad actually looking back on past experiances. They all turned out to be positives. It is all in how you look and think of all situations. Hope you know what I am trying to say here.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Nov 1, 2007, 07:21 AM
    This is why we pray:
    2 Kings 6:17
    And Elisha prayed, and said, “LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
    2 Kings 20:3
    “Remember now, O LORD, I pray, how I have walked before You in truth and with a loyal heart, and have done what was good in Your sight.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly.
    1 Chronicles 21:8
    So David said to God, “I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing; but now, I pray, take away the iniquity of Your servant, for I have done very foolishly.”
    Matthew 6:6
    But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
    Matthew 26:41
    Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak
    Mark 6:46
    And when He had sent them away, He departed to the mountain to pray.

Jesus prayed, we are to pray. Jesus prayed to overcome, we are to pray to overcome. Prayer is a gift of God. It is a way to spend time in His Presence. It is not just for requests, its so we can hear the heartbeat of our Father and Savior. Prayer in line with the Will of God allows the Hand of god to move on our behalf. He chose to work through His people for the advancing of His kingdom. If we do not pray, we fail Him.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Dec 22, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Thanks,
    Dear Prairie Son, You are comparing two very different things in your question. God's Will will always be done, however, God has given each person the ability to reach out to Him in prayer. If this was not so we would be perfect in the belief that we were self-created. We cannot tell God what to do as He already knows infinitely better than we why He does what He does. We can request things of Him that will allow us to gather more faith in Him and thus aid our spiritual progression.

God DOES HEAR your prayers! Many times, He will act upon them even if He may have another plan. It is because He created us and we are very special unto Him and He Loves His creation! If it was not that way then why even pray for those who are very sick and dying? Clearly, many have been HEALED by those very prayers that were sent to God! Look at churches that engage in laying-on of hands in the Name of Jesus -- many have risen from their wheelchairs and declared themselves healed because of prayer and especially collective prayers from all those in the congregation. Those people in wheelchairs may well have remained in wheelchairs had they not had FAITH and reached out to God in prayer for their healing. This is one great example of how God heard their prayers and changed His plan!

These are just some of the Scriptures that reveal the Power of prayer:

"The Lord is far from the wicked: but He heareth the prayer of the righteous." -- PROVERBS 15:29 (KJV)

"And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear." -- ISAIAH 65:24 (KJV)

"Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and He shall hear my voice." -- PSALM 55:17 (KJV)

"And the children of Israel said to Samuel, Cease not to cry unto the LORD our God for us, that He will save us out of the hand of the Philistines, And Samuel took a sucking lamb, and offered it for a burnt offering wholly unto the LORD: and Samuel cried unto the LORD for Israel; and the LORD heard him." -- 1 SAMUEL 7: 8-9 (KJV)

So, never be misled, by the adversary, into thinking that God does not hear your prayers because He does. He may not grant every prayer as some are unreasonable requests and He always knows best. But of those He can grant, He has, He does now and He will continue to grant throughout time.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 02:47 PM
    If as Christians we truly believe that God controls our destiny----controls the whole world actually and has the power to unleash natural disasters and plagues and that His will will always be done-----------Then why do we pray?
    Hopefully, we pray to give glory to God, to praise Him and to love Him. Prayer is communication with God and hopefully we use it to unite ourselves to the One we love.

If your days on this earth are numbered and your time is up what good is it going to do to ask for divine intervention?
    Remember, "If you do not acknowledge me in this life, I will not acknowledge you in the next."

If you are waiting until your dying day to begin to pray, you are certainly putting your soul in jeopardy.

Does anyone actually believe that prayer can change God's mind?
    Not literally. God is unchanging.

But, that is how I prefer to look at it. That prayer changes God's mind. Even though I know it is simply easier to understand that way.

But, I'll explain it the other way. You do know that prayer is a "work of God". And God prepared these works, amongst others, from the beginning that we should walk in them. Now God is expecting you to pray at your appointed time but it is up to you if you will pray as God appointed for you.

My faith is being tested-----I am slowly beginning to wonder why I ask for God's help if it's all already written in stone.
    Yeap, its written in stone. But do you know what is written on that stone? No? Then its almost like you are writing it yourself. Pray and be blessed.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    veritas Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Thanks,
    It's not bad to have your faith tested. It happens sometimes. I would revisit your understanding of the true nature of God and His divine attributes.

God's knowledge and power extends everywhere but he is not a marionette manipulating us and the world like puppets. God is outside of time itself and therefore knows everything (past-present-future) all together and has things worked out for His glory. That being the case, we cannot change God's mind. He is all good in spite of how we may interpret things in our limited capacity. What may seem tragic and unfortunate now to us, is or will be redeemed in God's plan. Since God is all-good, He cannot sin or cause us to sin. However, he will and does use our sin to bring about good.

As for the natural disasters, God made the earth in a certain way which seems to require certain "corrections" and responses to sustain itself. Earthquakes, floods, tornadoes and other natural disasters are natural responses to how the earth functions but also play into God's plan for us.
    JA7179 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 01:04 AM
    You Are Blessed You Need To Be Thankful And Quit Blaming God For Your Problims And The Problems Of The World Quit Asking God What He Can Do For You And Ask What You Can Do For Others God Hears You And Because He Is Merciful And Loving He Will Forgive You If You Repint And Give Your Life To Jesus.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 09:19 AM
    It is often a misconception that God "controls" everything, he did create it, and he is in of course complete control, but he also gave man free will to make their own choices and to live life according to the desires of their own heart which often are evil.

Also we live in a world that is not our home, we do not live in a Christian or even a godly world but one that is still the home of Satan who is often called the prince of this world.

So in that as things happen, God is far too often pointed at as doing things that are first merely nature and of things that are caused by the evil in mans hearts.
    And of course nothing is written in stone we see time and time again where Gods destruction was changed by the prayers of his people, we see this in the story of Jonah were an entire city was sparred ( at least for a few hundred years until there evil returned)
    And remember as Christians our blessings are in heaven, look at the followers of Christ after his death, none retired to a sea side resort, they all ended up dying bad deaths and torture or died in prison, but they were happy and free in spirit.

Today's Christians for some reason expect things on earth to be perfect for them, while they need to learn that their happiness is in spirit, on matter what ishappening to them on earth.
    madmad Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 08:42 PM
    You can pray for god to be there with you in times of hardship,
    To help you along the way that he has planned for you
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Jan 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
    In James is says that the fervant prayer of a righteous man availeth much, and although God knows everything that will happen, He isn't *necessarily* making it as such. Christians get the fact that God has ultimate foresight mixed up with predestination. God can cause things to happen, but I believe in more of the aspect that God is KEEPING so many things from happening, and at some point He lets go.
    I know God can and does harden the hearts of people, and puts delusions over their eyes due to their iniquity... not too sure about the natural disasters though.
    Everything does however, work out to His perfect will.
    ~Ash
    The chosen 1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
    Well said.
    The chosen 1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy View Post
    I suppose it depends on what you mean by "help". If you mean an unbroken stream of pleasant events and happy outcomes, then, of course, it's silly. If you mean learning to see the spiritual value in even the unpleasant events and unhappy outcomes that are inevitable in this life, then there may be a point to it.
    @ordinarlyguy. Please read a story of Hezekiah's I think if you have been good and true to God the God can give a helping hand. Hezekiah was dying and he prayed to God and God added 15 years to his life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should we always kneel when praying? [ 17 Answers ]

Is there a particular verse in the bible that says if we should kneel always when praying. I was brought up praying in no particular position. But my friend says that as christians, we should kneel when we pray like how muslims do when they pray. Is this founded in the bible? Im a roman catholic.

Praying mantis [ 1 Answers ]

Is it illegal to keep a praying mantis in pa

Market Failure & Government Intervention [ 1 Answers ]

What are the main sources of market failure in an economy? To what extent should government intervene in an economy?

Is the Bible divine? [ 10 Answers ]

Just for my curiosity, What is it that makes the Bible the divine word of GOD? As it was written by men (many) how do we know it is the word of GOD? What credibility do the man who wrote it have? Is this the only word of God?

Iranian intervention in Iraq [ 6 Answers ]

An excellent short history of Iranian intervention against Operation iraqi Freedom ,the coalition forces ,and the new Iraqi government has been authored by Kimberly Kagans at Weekly Standard . http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/IraqReport06.2.pdf She accurately illustrates how Iran...

View more questions Search