Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 31, 2007, 09:17 PM
    "Christian Rock"? Er music
    YouTube - Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord - Vineyard Music

I grew up RC, when I started going back to [ Baptist ] church with my wife it was a small traditional one. The music was the older traditional classic standards.
    Nothing wrong with that but it never got me going like some rock or pop songs do.

We moved to a small city, and they have Christian music radio stations, and we go to a church where the music is played with piano and guitars and drums. I find it such a blessing. This was unheard of, at least to me, 5 years ago.

What do you think?

What songs / artists do you like? :)

Grace and Peace
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Once a month my church has a special service like rock or folk or something beyond the usual. Some of the members didn't like it, but they don't have to attend. Many (even the "old people") enjoy it.

I love Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Jars of Clay, Steve Green, Phil Keagy, etc.--the "old timers" but am not familiar with the newer voices and groups.

YouTube - Awesome God - Michael W. Smith

YouTube - Friends -- LIVE -- Michael W. Smith [With Lyrics/Subtitles]
    (one of my very favorites)

YouTube - Great Is Thy Faithfulnes-Steve Green

In the Bible, people worshipped God by dancing and singing and playing drums and trumpets and cymbals. Why shouldn't we too??
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 31, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Psalm 30:4
    Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name.

Psalm 30:11
    You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

YouTube - Newsboys - He Reigns

Grace and Peace
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Very very neat group! I'm listening to some of their other songs now. Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 10:08 PM
    I like this one too --

YouTube - NewsBoys-It Is You
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 04:41 AM
    I love all of the above. Michael W. Smith one of my favorites.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Nov 1, 2007, 06:32 AM
    I absolutely adore the old classic hymns, especially around Christmas.

However, my current favored style of worship does involve the newer sound.

Personal favorites: Todd Agnew, Third Day, Michael W. Smith, Chris Tomlin, Big Daddy Weave, Pillar, Newsboys, etc.

But overall, I wonder why folks would want to limit themselves to only one style? Seems to me, that's a great way to grow stagnant in worship.

So long as the glory is given to God, I say "whatever works."
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Nov 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Third Day, Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, Mercy Me, Vicki Beeching, Enter the Worship Circle, TobyMac, Jars of Clay, Switchfoot. There are lots, too many to list. I listen to 89.5 KTSY
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Nov 1, 2007, 08:21 AM
    When I was a kid, I went to a church where the only songs we sang or heard were very traditional hyms. Now, married with kids, I've been attending this church for almost a year that sings all the songs mentioned above which I really love (love Casting Crowns "Praise You in this Storm"). They have a base player which just happens to be played by our pastor no less, piano, guitar which is played by our youth pastor and a full on drummer with a lead singer and female back up singer. I love it! But, I have to admit that the first time I walked in there and heard them play that music, I was sure God was going to strike me dead on the spot. Wow! Unheard of in my childhood church. The more I read my bible and prayed about it (cause it was a big thing for me, could have been a deal breaker), the more I realized that the Lord was telling me that if my heart was filled with His joy and not a wordly hey look it's a rock concert kind of joy, than my heart was in the right place and he would accept that kind of worship gladly. The church I came from as a child was very legalistic, told the women to wear only dresses and skirts, no jewelry other than a watch or maybe a pendant? In hindsight, it was strange. Very grateful that God lead me where I am today.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
    inthebox, don't you know rock music is the devil's music? Sorry, I spaced out for a minute there.

Wow, where to begin? Steven Curtis Chapman - all time favorite in any genre. His last few albums haven't been the greatest but nobody writes songs like he does. After that it runs all over the spectrum (in no particular order), Newsboys, Jars of Clay, Jennifer Knapp (awesome!), Chris Tomlin, Margaret Becker, Crystal Lewis, Susan Ashton, Geoff Moore, Caedmon's Call, Audio Adrenaline - and one of the most under appreciated pairs in Christian music if you ask me - Out of the Grey.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 09:39 AM
    I love the Christian rock music from the 70's Phil Keaggy is the best The Master and the Musician - 30th Anniversary

And the Second Chapter of Acts
    YouTube - 2nd Chapter Of Acts - Easter Song

And many more. I love the guitars, drums, etc for worship music and the Bible says use the instruments. It had to have been prudy Christians that decided it was unholy to use guitars and drums.

I love Michael W. Smiths eye 2 eye CD
    YouTube - Michael W. Smith-Secret Ambition

And Sandi Patti's Another Time Another Place
    YouTube - Sandi Patty Another Time Another Place
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Nov 6, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Taken from my profile page from a website this is what I like. Most but not all:

David Crowder band, All Star untied, P.O.D,Jermey Camp, Stellerkart,Hawlk Nelson,Skillet,Chirs Tomblin, Adie, Creed, Barlow Girl, Casting crowns, Third Day, Falling up, Fireflight, The Fray, Seventh Day slumber, Star Field, Switchfoot, Thousand foot krutch, Newsboys, Jars of clay, Reliant K, tree 63, Krystle Myers, Toby mac,Kutless, Lifehouse, Santus real, Super[K]ick, Paul Wright,The Afters, Todd Agnue,Amberlin, Audio Adernline, Big Daddy Weave, Big Dismal, Britt Nichole, Building 429, By the tree, Casting pearls,Jessie Daniels, Day of fire, Dc Talk, Decemberadio, Delierios? Detour 180, Discuple,Down here, Edison Glass, The Elms, Everyday Sunday, Fighting Instinct, FM Static, Forever Changed, Hyper Static union, Inhabited, Johna 33, Sarah Kelly,Jenifur Knapp, Jaden Lavik, Leeland, Mercy me, Nevertheless, Overflow, Plumb, Red, Matt Redman, Seven places, Sonic Flood, Rebecca St. James, Story side B, Tait, Telecast, The classic crime, Wavorly, Matthew West.

Air 1, The Positive Alternative has a lot of music.

I really like David Crowder. His musical style is always different. And yet the same.

YouTube - David Crowder Band - Undignified

Leeland is also a great band: YouTube - Leeland - Yes You Have
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 12:58 PM
    When I lived in Alaska, I went to a church called the Vineyard... my friend asked me to go with her... it was the best church I had ever been to. I loved it, almost the whole time they were rocking out or playing good music. I honestly think it was more of a gathering place for friends and families, it was safe, and a lot of fun!
    The best part about it was the music... I used to listen to only christian music at that point in my life, I have come to love it, it is meaningful and beautiful. I don't listen to it much anymore, except by chance I find it on the radio...
    Vineyard has a lot of great CD's... probably a hundred or so... LOL:D
    Have fun with the music!;)
    One of my faves is...
    Third Day, Switchfoot, and Creed are great too. Some wouldn't call it Christian music but I do...
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 01:04 PM
    YouTube - Third Day-Your Love Oh Lord
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Nov 14, 2007, 04:29 PM
    YouTube - Leeland - Yes You Have
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Nov 21, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Jeremy Camp- "Take You Back"

YouTube - Jeremy Camp "Take You Back"
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 03:59 PM
    YouTube - Al Green - Everything's Gonna Be Alright
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 04:36 PM
    I am leaving the Presbyterian Church I have belonged to because I can't stand their new contemporary music. Realistically, I think there needs to be churches with music styles to accommadate everybody. I am going elsewhere, but I wish my old friends success. It is like church for those that don't own a suit. Yes we need it. We also need church for those that don't own a pair of blue jeans.
    hyperbaptistgirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 10:36 AM
    BarlowGirl,Nicole C. Mullen,TobyMac,Casting Crowns,Rebecca St.James and Switchfoot all are really great.
    mbskng54 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Mercy Me, Twila Paris, Third Day

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who singsClassic Rock song"cause you ain't got no lover" [ 2 Answers ]

: who sings Cause you isn't got no lover? 70's or 80's poprock might be a one hit wonder.

Gossip Girl "Blair" Promo Music (Clip Included) [ 3 Answers ]

I am not sure if these are the words exactly. That's what I hear. I googled them, and I googled other possibilities for what I COULD HAVE heard, but I came up with nothing! I hope someone can help me! Can't you find, what we're after, can't you feel, we are down... slip away, you'll never, make...

What christian male group sings the song " I Know" and what's the cd name. [ 1 Answers ]

What christian male group sings the song " I Know" and what's the cd name.

Music from newest Fidelity "Freedom Fund" Commercial? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, can you tell me what group recorded the background music in the newest Fidelity "Freedom Fund" Commercial? It sounds a little like it would have been played in a "Strip Club" in the 70's... "Thanks"!

View more questions Search