Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    addica Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Child Custody
    My step daughters mother is tell her daughter that when she turns 16 (shes 5 now) that she can move in with her ( we have full cousty)... I thought this was up to a judge and not the child... can some one tell me if this is true?.
    Katrina
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 12:21 PM
    I think this would be an issue of the age of consent for the "child", which I will guess is dictated by your State.

Tell me what State you're in and I'll do a little surfing for the answer.
    addica Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 01:55 PM
    Florida. She lives in Alabama. She currently sees her 2 week-ends a month and on holidays and events like that.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2005, 05:56 AM
    Custody
    Hi,
    In most states, it's up to the court, but they do listen to the child's wishes, and take them into consideration.
    However, if she is only 5, you are going through what many parents go through. My own step-daughter was 5 when my wife and I married (now 28 yrs), after a first marriage. She is 33 yrs old, and has more respect for me than her own Dad, who took my wife to court seeking custody... it was denied.
    It will be literally years before your step-daughter has to make this choice, but in my own opinion, if you treat her with respect, love, and show her happiness, she will NOT want to move in with her real mother.
    Worrying about the future only promotes more worry. That time is a long time yet to come. Your step-childs Mom is only telling her that either to really try "comforting" her, or is doing it "out of spite".
    By the time the child is that old, she probably won't even remember anything about it, and can make up her own mind.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2005, 04:02 AM
    I've had no luck confirming the "age of consent" for this type of issue (choosing where you want to live)... but thankfully, her age 16 is many years from now.

I don't see that the judge will come into play unless the she is under the age that any person can go out and, say, get an apartment of their own.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2005, 07:32 PM
    Your step daughter will not have the option of moving in with her mother as long as you have full custody. Of course, a lot can happen in 11 years and the older a child gets the more weight her desires carry in the eyes of a judge. At the age of 5 she is not considered able to make a conscientious decision regarding her needs and desires. Either way, unless the custody order is amended by the court at some point in the future for whatever reason, the living and visitation arrangements will not change from what they are right now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2005, 07:53 PM

At 16 even if it is not "legal" ain't no one going to go get her and make her come back. If she just leaves and goes there, you will have to sue in their state to force her to return.

Believe me some states will not even honor child custody paper work from other states when kids are 5. You would still have to take your paperwork from your state and go to a hearing. Believe me I have been there.

In Alabama a 16 is normally age and in GA 17, I had those issue with my kids some years ago and was not happy about that either.

But the main thing is it is many years, hopefully she will not want to move after she has lived with you all those years, also will have all her friends, her school and more where you live.

My 15 year old decided he was moving to live with his grandma, ( she caused the issues) and basically he just left and went up there.
    Police would not pick him up and bring him back, And the court in that state merely asked him where he wanted to live and told me there was no case.

But in 12 years, there could be totally new laws, who knows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child custody [ 4 Answers ]

In August of this year my daughter went to stay with her grandmother to go to a private school. At the time I believed everything was fine. Since then my mother has not allowed me to see her or speak to her. It's been a long time since I've even been able to talk to my mother. A month after she was...

Child custody [ 6 Answers ]

Can any one give me some avice on child custody?I have sole custody now and the mom is taking me back to court and is asking for full custody.she has been court order to see child on wensdays and every other weekends. She has taken our son two time in last 60 days.how do I keep the sole...

Child Custody [ 1 Answers ]

I live in BC, Canada. I have been in a commonlaw relationship for 6 years now. I have recently found out my partner had slept with someone else 2 years ago. His family has been mentally and emotionally abusive to me and he is an alcoholic. I don't want our daughter around his family at all. ...

Child custody [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-husband lives in Arkansas and has custody of my 12 year old daughter. She wants to come back to Virginia to live with me. She has made that clear to him and has even told him that when she comes to Virginia this summer that she is not coming back to Arkansas. She wants me to support her in...

View more questions Search