Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bab313 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Replacement Windows
    I am looking to replace the windows in my home. I'm trying to get a feel for what good brands there are and what to stay away from. I live in Maryland, so it can be pretty hot or pretty cold. I plan on doing the replacement myself and just need some direction on where to buy/look at window specs. Thanks in advance for the help.
    fizzlebent Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Well a lot depends on what type of Window you are looking for? Such things as Vinyl or wood? In a Vinyl Window I have used Alside windows out of Kinston, NC and Great Lakes Windows, although they can be a bit pricy, but an excellent window none the less.
    Wood windows I have used Pella, decent window good warranty, I really like Marvin Windows they are an excellent wood window, and are Custom made.
    bab313 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 05:46 PM
    So I went to Home Depot to price some Andersen replacement windows and was shocked at the $540 price tag. Does this sound typical or is there a better place to buy? These were quoted for 400 series and I was told the 200 series weren't any cheaper. Maybe I should be looking at a different window manufacturer? Anyone have any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Anderson is a very good brand , so is Pella. They all run around $500 for a very good thermopane double hung. If you are looking for a less expensive brand you will likely end up with a window that lloks great but is not constructed as well. For example, a vinyl or aluminum covered window could be made from a material similar to particle board instead of hardwood, you'd never see it. Hurd is also a very good brand, by the time you get to Crestline you have reached the ower rung on the ladder at the box stores.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:09 PM
    My mom bought Andersen double-sash windows that tip in so she can wash the entire window from inside the room. She loves them and says they were well worth the cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement or repair of casement windows [ 18 Answers ]

Our house is in need of replacement or repair of several casement windows. I'm looking for information on quality contractors in the Wichita, Kansas area. If not specific contractors, things to look for in contractors. I am extremely suspicious about most contractors and it is very difficult to...

Replacement Windows [ 6 Answers ]

My son is replacing some basement windows. He is looking at Home Depot (Anderson or Simonton) windows, or another installer who would use B.F. Rich. Anyone have any opinions on use of Home Depot installers (I am sure they vary by location) or the brands of windows I mentioned?

Replacement windows [ 1 Answers ]

What is involved in installing replacement windows?

Replacement windows? [ 3 Answers ]

I have hired a handy man to replace windows in my house. I have a feeling that he mis represented himself and his experience as he does not seem to really know what he's doing. Three of the windows are in and the patio door is tomorrow. My biggest concern is our big front window. It has been...

View more questions Search