Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 06:53 AM
    WindowsXP: Customize Start Menu
    I use Classic Start Menu.

When viewing Customize Classic Start Menu, I have a button for Sort... but when I click it, nothing happens.

There is no recognizable order of the apps in Start > Programs. I want them alphabetized.

How can I do this?

Thanks!
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Nov 11, 2005, 06:59 AM
    Start Menu
    Hi Rick,

Go to Start, Programs, right click one of the programs, then click Sort by Name. Have you checked for viruses and/or spyware? Go to: http://sarc.com/ Scroll down and click on,"Free Online Virus and Security Check" and run the virus check. Write down exactly anything it finds, then return to: http://sarc.com/ and do a search for what was found. Symantec usually has a removal tool and/or directions for removing manually.

I would suggest downloading Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 from:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22262,00.asp

Once installed, enable Tea Timer. Open the Spybot Search & Destroy, click the "+" sign next to Tools on the left side of the screen, click System Startup, then on the right side of the page check HK_CU Run Spybot Tea Timer.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 07:18 AM
    I use Spybot S&D ritually. No spyware. I've got all Windows updates too.

When I right click on a shortcut at Start > Programs, I do get the Sort by Name option, but nothing happens.

When I right click on the programs link at Start, I get an option to open, and there is a folder I can re-arrange, but it does not show all items that I have showing on the list of all folders and shortcuts I have when I go Start > Programs.

So this is odd, huh? Typically easy to rearrange them to alpha order?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 07:20 AM
    Hi Rick,

I did the same as you did, using the Sort button. After clicking OK to leave the menus I noticed that my Programs Groups were inded sorted alpha followed by the individual entries sorted alpha also.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2005, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    When I right click on a shortcut at Start > Programs, I do get the Sort by Name option, but nothing happens.
    Very odd

When I right click on the programs link at Start, I get an option to open, and there is a folder I can re-arrange, but it does not show all items that I have showing on the list of all folders and shortcuts I have when I go Start > Programs.
    These are the programs that are specific to your user account.

Have you tried doing a sort on the contents of this folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs, then sorting the ones for your user account?

May work but not too sure.
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 12:17 PM
    Yes. I checked All Users, Admin and Rick... the three set up.

Odder yet: Now I'm home; on my brand new laptop.

Same thing.

Clicking the Sort button on the Customize Classic Start Menu window does nothing.

Could it be a bug with that feature for Classic Start Menu users do you think?

I tried doing it via the control panel as MS suggests but the same thing happens... er, doesn't happen.

If you're using the XP start menu, I'd be thrilled if you'd try switching to the Classic start menu and trying that Sort button.

If it happens for you too, I'd have to think I need to let Bill G. know about this next time we're out having a beer :p
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 11, 2005, 12:19 PM
    Try logging on to your Pc with a different user account. If you don't currently have another, control panel & user accounts & just create another. If this allows you to sort, it could be your user profile is corrupted! Let us know if it works and I'll describe copying the profile.

Edit : I posted this at the same time as rick - more likely a bug if on more than one computer!
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2005, 12:23 PM
    Have you tried using the XP start menu, sorting there and then going back to classic?

As a side note, why are you using the classic menu as the XP one offers so much more ?
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 12:31 PM
    1. No, I didn't try it on the XP menu - or as another user. I will.
    2. I've had this look on my computer since Windows98... old habits are hard to break. :p
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2005, 12:34 PM
    2. I've had this look on my computer since Windows98...old habits are hard to break. :p
    Hehehehe, now may be the time to be dragged kicking and screaming into the century of the fruitbat ooops meant 21st ;)
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 12:37 PM
    Strike 1: The XP start menu does not have a Sort option.
    Geez. You'd think something like this would be simple!
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2005, 12:40 PM
    It does ;) honest
    Start > all programs > right click on any NON folder > select sort by name.
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Bingo!

I must have right clicked on a folder before.. . and I see whiskey14 did say "program"... but I just right clicked on anything.

I'd give you the big kiss of an "Approve" Rate but I've exceeded my limit for you.

You are so often right there to see some crucial detail.

Thanks!
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2005, 12:58 PM
    I try my best mate.

Glad to help.

Now are you going to stick with the XP menu ?
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 02:23 PM
    Yes, I am. I thought it was that "bubbly" look that I don't like, but see that it's not.

I'll play with the tweaks it offers to see what neat stuff is offered.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2005, 06:47 AM
    XP tweaks
    Hi,
    As just some "side information" about tweaking XP, here is a link to one of the best information sites about tweaking I have yet found.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1590&page=1

99 tips and tweaks for XP. If you have some time, might be worth checking out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Menu Items [ 1 Answers ]

How to Enable / disable Menu Items For Windows Programming If Program is to be written in Visual C++

WindowsXP process: dumprep.exe [ 5 Answers ]

After the 5th link here, I'm still cornfuzed. CPU usage jammed at 100% and 4 instances of dumprep.exe chowing down on my ram. I'm reading that it's unnecessary, but also reading that it should not be removed. If I click End Process I get a terrifying warning message about "undesired...

Slow start menu [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running win98 on a refurbished IBM netvista, Pentium II. I've noticed over the last few weeks that my start menu is sporadically very slow. Like, I will click Start, and it will take 30 seconds or more for the menu to pop up. Sometimes it doesn't pop up at all, the computer freezes and I have...

+/- from all programs menu [ 2 Answers ]

How can I add new items to the "all programs" list in XP?:o I'd like to create a entry or two there and move some of the existing items into that folder. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for the help... and oh yeah, Merry Christmas!:D

Want a help menu [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Friends I am A new member to this ASK ME HELP DESK. I want to know the procedures and formalities for how to use this site. For example the word 'THREAD', I don't know the meening of it. Is there any help menu ICON for it to click on. So that I'll get the answers without disturbing anyone. ...

View more questions Search