Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    celeste sims Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Unemployment Appeals
    I have an unemployment appeals coming up. I was fired because I had a critically ill sibling in south america in a coma. I am the only member of family fluent in spanish and I also work as a spanish interpreter. My disabled mother whom I live with had to be accompanied to south america so that she could make decisions affecting my brothers life. Because no interpreter was provided in the south american hospital I had to stay there over a month until my brother came out of the coma. My employer has denied me unemployment benefits although I have certified letters from the hospital stating the critical situation and my need to be there with my disabled mother and unconscience brother. I have an appeals tomorrow and need advice on how I can get the employer to pay.
    famlee Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2007, 03:29 PM
    You can't "get" the employer to pay. If you have a hearing then you will explain your situation and why you were fired and why you feel you are entitled to unemployment compensation. Your employer will have a chance to tell their side. Then the appeal panel/person will decide if you are entitled to unemployment compensation or not. I can't remember if the unemployment office handles the appeal or a 3rd party and if it's a panel of people or one person to make the decision. I went through this process once about 6 years ago.

If the employer used your past job performance as a reason to fire you, then you might lose. Such as, if you had excessive tardies/absents.

Did you request time off for this situation or just call and say, " I won't be at work for x amount of time?"

Did you fill out the forms for the FMLA?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Which State are you in? Your employer does not have to honor your request for time off for a family emergency - it would appear your employer is claiming you were fired for reason.

I have only seen Unemployment Hearings in front of an Arbitrator - never more than one person although that may be the case in other jurisdictions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment for those who were self-employed [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We owned a restaurant for four years and had to close it down just about a month ago. When we had the business we took a check on and off and the rest of the times we took draws to pay our bills. Now we have no income what so ever and having very high financial difficulty surviving with...

Fired can I get unemployment in Tn? [ 12 Answers ]

I was fired from one of the big home improvement retailers. Reason they gave me was I was heard off duty saying something wrong about the company and manager? Can I get unemployment in the state of Tn? I know there first answer will be no but I want to know how to get it. Ive never been on...

Appeals Process: [ 6 Answers ]

Many convicted felons who are given death sentences live on death row for upwards to twelve years. And we pay for their survival needs. This, folks, is not acceptable. Can the appeals process be shortened? Jeff :mad:

Effects of new Limitations Act on Appeals? [ 5 Answers ]

I had a breach of contract lawsuit dismissed for want of prosecution in 1992. The lawsuit took place in Ontario. Can this suit be appealed when I die and my estate is probated? Am I protected by the new Statute of Limitation law in Ontario? Thank you for any help you can provide, I am trying to...

Divorce settlement appeals [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a time limit on appealing a divorce settlement in the state of Arkansas?

View more questions Search