Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tiggggerifict Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Wiring a ceiling fan with remote control
    I have existing wiring and switches in which the two ceiling fans with lights were controlled by a switch and so were the fans. I am replacing both with remote control fans. My problem now is that the remote sensor on each fan only has a black and a white wire and from the ceiling are a black, red and white wire. The oringinal wiring was set up that one switch used the red wire to control the fans and the black wire to contol the lights. How do I wire a black, red, and white wire from the ceiling to only a black and white wire from the remote censor on the fan so that it works with the two switch configuration before?

Thanks, Tricia
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 06:11 AM
    If 1 switch works both fans, and other switch works both lights on fans. Then Connect the black/white to black on one fan, other fan, connect black/white to the red wire. Be sure to change the code on one fan(receiver and transmitter).
    Is the control a handheld remote or wall mounted remote?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 08:57 PM
    You will have to connect the black fan wire to EITHER the red or black ceiling wire. Cap off the unused wire.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Correction, Black of one receiver to black wire, black of other receiver to the red wire,
    Change DIP switch setting on fans. Each fan receiver should match it's own control switching.
    You can have all switches on both fans the same. A little trickey to get back "In Sync"
    Just get the remote(If handheld)and have further away from second fan.
    I appologize for saying Black/white instead of Black.
    Tiggggerifict Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Thank you both so much for the info. Of course I got frustrated and disconnected the remotes all together. Have been running the fans, on high as there is no other speed control, by the switch. Have actually bought a switch to replace the reg. switch in wall so I could adjust fan speed but will retry wiring the remotes again.

Thanks again, Tricia
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Let us know if you have any further questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change ceiling fan remote batteries on a hamilton bay remote control unit [ 3 Answers ]

Before I break the darn thing, can you tell me if the back panel comes off or if I have to unscrew the top and bottom screws?

Ceiling fan remote control wiring help? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi We just bought an Aloha Breeze remote control fan. We put it up as directed as we have put up several fans in the past. This is our first try at one with a remote. The fan came with a hand held remote and the receiver. The wiring diagram that came with it is hard to see and there are no precise...

How to determine wiring for ceiling fan remote control [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Callaway I bought in 1995. Actually I have 2 of them and one is still working, but one quit working completely. The remote control receiver unit went bad and I am trying to replace it with a new Hampton Bay remote control but I cannot tell what the fan motor wires are. I...

Ceiling fan remote control coverting to light/fan dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my home and am coming across a major problem that NO ONE seems to have an answer for. I have two ceiling fans that operate via remote control. The rest of the ones in my home are the popular "pull down" chains - and those work prefectly with the new fan/light dimmers...

Wiring Remote Control Fan [ 3 Answers ]

My son just bought a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that came with a remote control. He really didn't want the remote and wanted it wired with the switches on the wall. However the only way you can reverse the fan direction is with the remote so he wants to use the switches on the wall for the fan and...

View more questions Search