Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cassandrita Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Boyfriend meeting the parents
    Here is my situation,

I am from haitian background and my boyfriend is italian. We have been dating for 8 months now. I come from a family with old values and mentality. My family is putting pressure on me, they want to meet my boyfriend. This situation wouldn't be if I wasn't living at home ( I'm 20yrs university student so cost les $$$$ with the parents for now)

My parents want me to present my boyfriend but I am not ready and my boyfriend seems stressed about the situation. He says that he has never met the parents of none of his ex girlfriends ( he is 27yrs)

I think that 8 months is too early, but they don't seem to understand. I don't want to put pressure on my boyfriend either? What should I do for my family to understand my point of view.
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 31, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cassandrita
    Here is my situation,

I am from haitian background and my boyfriend is italian. We have been dating for 8 months now. I come from a family with old values and mentality. My family is putting pressure on me, they want to meet my boyfriend. This situation wouldnt be if i wasnt living at home ( im 20yrs university student so cost les $$$$ with the parents for now)

My parents want me to present my boyfriend but i am not ready and my boyfriend seems stressed about the situation. He says that he has never met the parents of none of his ex girlfriends ( he is 27yrs)

I think that 8 months is too early, but they dont seem to understand. I dont want to put pressure on my boyfriend either? what should i do for my family to understand my point of view.
    Two sub issues here - 1) your parents' old values and mentality, 2) race and age
    I believe you understand that race will be an issue (be it right or wrong), and age - at 20, 7 years difference is a lot.

That said is your biyfriend a student too. The best way to win your parents over to be able to show the virtues of your boyfriend, his career, eductation, ambitions, accomplishments. Show them that he is a solid prospect worthy of dating.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 07:54 AM
    I can understand your parents pint of view. There is a big age difference. Are your parents aware he is Italian and not Haitian and will this make a difference to them? Are you and this young man serious or is this strictly a dating thing?
    If you are serious and if he is serious about you I would think he would respect that your parents want to meet him.
    Given the values of your family and if family values are important to you as well, if this young man cannot respect that, this may be a sign that this relationship won't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend has crackhead parents [ 1 Answers ]

Ok well I've been with my boyfriend for over 2 years and his parents are crackheads. Seriously. His dad hits his mom and smokes crack around him and his little brother and cheats on his mom. His mom stays with his dad even though the dad does this crap. The dad is the only one that works and spends...

Meeting new people! [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering has anyone got any good ideas wher and the best way to meet new people?? :confused:

My Sisters lies to my parents to meet the boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been very worried about my sister. Seems like all she thinks about is the boyfriend and doesn't even talk to my mom or dad about anything. My dad tried to talk to her about school but she just tells them to go away. Seems like all she cares is about the boyfriend. One time she lied...

After first meeting [ 1 Answers ]

My lunch date was OK, but I would like to hear from him again. Should I call or wait for him to call?

Agenda for a meeting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello this is ajay I wanted to ask about agendas of meetings If any body knows plzzzzzz mail me Thank u

View more questions Search