Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duz2600 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2005, 01:44 PM
    Ceiling fan switch replacement- NOTES
    Installed the old fan from the dining room in a Bedroom. During the install, I noticed the 3 speed FAN Switch housing was cracked and broken...
    Everything had always run smoothly.

Bought a replacement switch at WalMart, with the same engravings, part numbers, etc. But the larger plastic half is red, instead of the grey color the old one had.

Moved the wires over pin for pin. The new switch doesn't work.

Removed it, and took my continuity meter (Ohm meter) and found out that the two switches are different in their electrical switching!

The old (Grey body) switch progressively adds each pin to the L (Load) pin.
    So that it is 'OFF' ; 'L+1'; L+1+2'; L+2+3.

The new (Red body) switch only goes 'OFF'; 'L+1'; 'l+2'; 'L=3'.

So, even if a part LOOKS identical, even having the same part numbers on the castings, it might be different!

So, now, on to check out HD's stock!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2005, 04:09 PM
    Thanks for the info. It is tough helping people when there are so many ways to wire up a multiple speed fan.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 11:41 PM
    But you went about it the right way. You made note of which wires connect to L, 1, 2, and 3.. . And then figured out which switch positions connect which wires together. Now all you have to do is find an L - 1 - 2+2 - 2+3 switch, if you haven't already. Try with www.ceilingfanparts.com if your local hardware store doesn't have it.

For more information on ceiling fan parts:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...-fan-parts.php

P.S. I would have super-glued the original switch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan switch replacement-chain broke [ 3 Answers ]

The chain to operate my 3 speed fan broke off. I have no way of turning off the fan so I flipped the switch in my electrical box to the room. I have marked the position of the 4 wires and am trying to remove them from the switch, however, they appear to be sodered. I read in one article that I...

Someone was asking about a larger replacement canopy for their ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Because the remote receiver wouldn't fit inside their fan's canopy? I told them that most canopies are the same size including the replacements, which is true. However I just spotted this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6038590223 Which is a receiver that mounts OUTSIDE...

Ceiling fan light pull chain replacement [ 5 Answers ]

Pull chain on the ceiling fan light broke off, so I pulled it down, and figured out what to buy, but at some point one of the two black wires going to it came loose, presumably out of a screw cap. Does it just go in the cap with the other black load wires (3 still together)? Do I understand...

Hampton bay replacement ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan because the blades broke off the original in Hurricane Katrina. My fan is attached to the 30 foot ceiling by an extended pole. Is there anyway to replace the fan at the end of the pole instead of having to get to the ceiling box which will require scaffolding? Thanks...

Ceiling Fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

The switch chain broke off and I replaced the brokenswitch with a different switch that I saved from an old fan that was thrown away. The broken (old) switch had four wires (L - black... 1 - orange... 2 - purple... 3 - yellow). The new/ replacement has only 3 wires. I foolishly failed to mark the...

View more questions Search