Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prcarpio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2005, 12:59 AM
    401k HELP
    You may have answered this question from other members, but I just wanted to get something clear. I've left my job 6 months ago. My new job doesn't have a retirement plan that I can roll over my 401k to. I'm not really that interested in opening up an IRA account. I'm thinking about just cashing it all out. I've been told that there is a minimum 20% tax by the government. What other withholdings should I expect? -- Also, if I just left my 401K alone, without cashing out or rolling over, will I be penalized? The previous job was a non-profit organization-- so the 401K was through Mutual of America. I'm going to start teaching in about a year -- so I would really rather wait until then to roll this account over, rather than starting an IRA, but I don't want to get penalized in the meantime. Please advice.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2005, 05:42 AM
    The penalty for early withdrawal is 10%. You'll also pay capital gains tax (at whatever % is appropriate for your income level) also.

The company has the option of taking either of these out before you get it.
    Whatever they don't withhold, you'll owe it on that years' tax return.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2005, 06:01 AM
    Hi,
    Please call your Plan Administrator.
    I had the same experience with working with a company for 20 yrs, before they sold out to another company, and along with others, was eventually laid off in a so-called "permanent cost reduction" plan. (others were over 50 also!).
    I left my 401K money in the plan, and after talking with the Plan Administrator, found out I could either withdraw it, or leave it. By that time, I was fully "vested". And, with this particular company, it could be drawn out at 55 without early withdrawal penalties. The "early withdrawal penalties" depend on the age set by the Plan Administrator of the company. usually not before 55.
    As another said, if you are NOT fully vested, you will pay a penalty, with 20% taken out for Federal Taxes, plus at the end of the year, might owe State Taxes, where applicable.
    If your Plan Administrator says you can leave it in, I would, and let it grow without adding more to it. Or, as you say, roll it over when you can into another 401K, IF the company you work for later will allow it.
    I do wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k in two places [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I currently have 2 401k's roaming about from previous jobs. I don't have one set up with my current employer. I am in a position where I need to get a hold of that money quick, but I'm not sure what my best options are. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!! :confused:

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was listening to a Suzi Orman program where she is now saying, unless the employer offers a 40lK company match, do not contribute to a 40lK. The reason? The tax rates today are much less then they were 10,15,20 years ago. My company does not match, however I contribute 15% of my salary. I...

401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid of from his job due to downsizing last April. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received notification that the company had taken back their matched contributions to his 401K leaving only his contributions. Is this legal? Is there any...

401K Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in Nevada for 5 years with an H-1B visa. Now I am back to the school for my MBA degree in Atlanta, Georgia. I have $12,000 vested in my 401K Account. Since I am neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident, I am considering to cash my 401K and use it for my tuition. As I understand...

View more questions Search