Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msbionik Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Loan Payments
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and I appreciate any help you offer.

I just want to make sure I am correct because I read into things and confuse myself even more!

Here goes: If you take out an $8000 car loan that calls for 48 monthly payments at an APR of 10%, what is the monthly payment? What is the effective annual percentage rate on the loan?

I have: 1.2% monthly rate at a payment of 96 per month..?

Thanks in advance!
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Oct 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Hi there! $8,000.00 @ 10% for 48 months would put your payment at $202.90. I'm not sure what you mean as far as what is the effective APR? On the above payment, $66.67 would be applied to interest and $136.23 would be applied to the principle in month one, $65.63 interest & $137.37 principle in month two, $64.39 interest & $138.51 principle in month three and so on and so forth. That's of course assuming only minimums are being paid each month. If it is a simple interest contract, then anything paid above the minimum due each month, gets applied directly to the principle.
    msbionik Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by msbionik
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and I appreciate any help you offer.

I just want to make sure I am correct because I read into things and confuse myself even more!

Here goes: If you take out an $8000 car loan that calls for 48 monthly payments at an APR of 10%, what is the monthly payment? What is the effective annual percentage rate on the loan?

I have: 1.2% monthly rate at a payment of 96 per month...???

Thanks in advance!
    Hi KatiePerez,

Thanks for responding... What would the effective rate be then? I believe we are supposed to divide the APR by 12 for the amount of months per year and I now got 0.8333. Would this be the effective rate?
    Best701982 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Why do you need the effective rate? Typically the effective rate is used on home loans which incorporates closing cost and points. A car loan is typically discussed at the full rate. I hope that you rate isn't 1.2% x 12 which would 14.4% annually!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entry for loan payments [ 6 Answers ]

How do I make the journal entries when a payment is made on a loan.

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

My loan payments are being held hostage! [ 1 Answers ]

I've written about this before but my loan problem has taken a new twist. 2 years ago I loaned a friend 55K to get his business started. He has been paying regularly until this month when I received a certified letter stating he is putting all my Monthly payments in a separate trust account...

View more questions Search