Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tconroy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Wiring basment bedrooms
    I am running a new line from breaker box to bedroom # one. I want to install 2 three way switches running the power 14/2 to the light and then to the swithches. My question is - can I runlines from light to power the rooms recepatcles or am I better to run power to the switch first and then to light and then the receptacles? Send me a diagram!!
    Thanks TC
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 02:48 PM
    TC,

You have to do some homework here. Where is your plan? What kind of line are you going to run from the box to the light?

First step would be to take your completed plan and diagram to your local governing office and get an electrical permit. Next arrange for two inspections, one at the completion of the rough in and one at the final connections.

Whether you run power to the switch and then to the light or choose to run power to the light and via a switch loop power the switches is moot. Either method is within code.

I would suggest however, that you use 12/2 if the switches if they are controlling two different lights or 12/3 if the switches are controlling the same light. 12 AWG supports 20 amp and 15 amp. So in the future if you change the loads to 20 amp loads, the 12 AWG cable will not have to be changed. 14 AWG is only rated for 15 amps.

I would not suggest powering your outlets off the lights. If at all possible, consider using three breaker slots, assuming that you have the room in your main panel box. One breaker (15 amp or 20 amp) for the lights and one breaker each to service the outlets in the additional bedrooms.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 04:45 PM
    The inspector will be looking for Arc Fault circuit breakers for all circuits in a bedroom, including the smoke detector, and all lighting outlets.

However, some states do not want the detector Arc Fault protected, makes sense, so check on this in your state.

Smoke detectors are required one in each bedroom, and one in the common space just outside bedrooms. Diagrams are a bit time consuming for a group of volunteers. If I know how many lights, switches, and outlets, I can pencil sketch something and scan it. Won't be neat, but workable.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 08:18 PM
    You can count on tkrussell being right about the arc fault breakers and smoke detectors. The only thing I might suggest is picking some sort of a basic wiring book. There are any number of safe, workable, code compliant ways to wire all that up. Some of them will require less work and wire depending on where things are located. I would study your book, draw up the diagram, and post you plan here and see what tk has to say. Once he is happy, likely you local building inspector will be too, unless there are some local rules.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 06:14 AM
    TC,

I believe that the Black & Decker, "Complete Book of Wiring", which is sold at Lowe's, Barnes & Noble and Home Depot would meet your needs.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 06:26 AM
    There are a number of additional gismos now-a-days, like timers that now require a neutral at the switch. This may be a good reason to do this method. However, fans with RF remote controls also require neutrals at the fan (ceiling). The point is, plan carefully.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hawaii Law :: Leasing Bedrooms [ 1 Answers ]

In Hawaii, is it legal to allow a landlord to rent out individual rooms in one house and have each tenant sign a lease? :confused:

Virfinia State Law on Sharing Bedrooms [ 3 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia, what is the age at which a child (girl) can no longer share a bedroom with a boy (step brother). Thank you.

Basment not level [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... Just bought a house and the basement is not level. What can be done to create a level floor ready for carpeting. How much with labour and material would it cost?

Leaking basment [ 3 Answers ]

I have a old house with a stone foundation, what's the best way to seal a stone foundation, we are getting leaks from a couple areas. Thank you Rob

Bathroom chandelier and Bedrooms [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I want to install a chandelier above a bathtub. What is the minimum height do I need above the bottom of the tub? Also can more than one bedroom be on 1 acr fault breaker. And is it better to have the receptacles and lights on separtate arc faults? Do smoke detectors need to be on...

View more questions Search