Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khadka Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Pilot Light of my furnace does not stay lit for longer
    Hello,

The pilot light of my furnace does not stay stay lit very long. I have been having this problem for a while. Last time it lasted only for 2 days and after that just went off.

Things I have done to prevent that:
    1. Changed the thermo couple (copper) (the coil is longer than needed or longer than old one.
    2. I have closed the back and garage doors all the time to prevent blowing off the pilot light.
    3. It is a old furnace but still works.
    4. changed the filter recently.

I also like to know what are the things I need to do to maintain the furnace.

Thinsg I have been doing to light the pilot light:

1. shutt the room thermostat to OFF position.
    2. shutt the furnace wall swith to OFF position and pilot light knob to off position and wait for five minutses.
    3. Furnace wall switch to ON position and light the pilot light.
    Once the pilit light is on. Then room thermostat to ON position

(Is this Right) Sorry this might be a dumb question to some of the people. I am learning.

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Could be you have the thermocouple stuck into the flame to far or not enough. You want the tip and about 1/2 to 3/4 inches in the flame. You might also have a restricted pilot orifice. This can be caused by spider webs or dirt. The orifice is located in the pilot assembly where the aluminum pilot tube is located.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

My pilot light won't stay lit [ 6 Answers ]

Help,I have two problems.. My upstairs furnace pilot light will light,and after holding down the pilot button for about 3-4 minutes(it says one minute,but it won't stay lit after only one)it stays,but will go out again in a day or two... The furnace for the downstairs won't light at all.. I can't...

Gas furnace pilot won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

About 1 month ago pilo light wouldn't stay lit so I replaced the thermocouple.. The unit worked fine for about 2 weeks. After that when relighting it would go out after 1 day or so. Bought a new thermocouple and this one would only keep the pilot lit for 1 to 2 hours. Reinstalled the thermocouple I...

Gas furnace pilot refuses to STAY LIT! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, all, new here... OK, I have a Rheem gas furnace in the crawlspace which is original to the house (1984). This place was vacant almost two years before we moved in three years ago. Before the first winter I tried to fire up the heating system and could not light the pilot. A little...

Leaky water heater, now pilot light will not stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

We had a substantial leak in our water heater, to the point where the insulation was soaked around the tank. We had that fixed by a plumber but now the pilot light will not stay lit. it will light, and seconds after turning the heat back to on it will go out. It has now been over 24 hours since...

View more questions Search