Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbrickhous Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 10:51 AM
    16 year old Judgement
    My husband had a judgment in 1991. We married in 1995. In 2006 we purchased a home, I was the primary applicant. In June 2007 a lien was placed on our home. Can a judgement last for 16 years. And should creditor be required to notify all owners of a property?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2007, 11:01 AM
    A judgement can last for more than 16 years. Generally, they last for 10 and can be renewed for another 10, maybe more. The laws on this vary from state to state.

No, the creditor is not required to give any notification when placing a lien.

As long as your husband is a joint owner of the property they can place a lien on it. However, there are some issues of exempt assets that may be applicable.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrickhous
    My husband had a judgment in 1991. We married in 1995. In 2006 we purchased a home, I was the primary applicant. In June 2007 a lien was placed on our home. Can a judgement last for 16 years. And should creditor be required to notify all owners of a property?
    Hello brick:

I don't have good news. Judgments, depending on the laws in the jurisdiction where they were granted, can last 10 years or more and can be renewed and even renewed again.

It doesn't matter if you're the primary applicant, if his name appears anywhere in the deed, they can place the lien. Plus, as I consider it more fully, even if his name doesn’t appear anywhere on the documents, if you live in a community property state, just the fact that you're married to him may be reason enough for them to place a lien.

No, they have no requirements to notify you at all.

excon
    jbrickhous Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Thanks for answering 16 year old judgement, how does a person know if a judgement has been properly renewed?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Hello again, jb:

The lien is filed in the courthouse in your county, and as a public record, is available for viewing. You'll see which court awarded it. You'll need to contact THAT court and view your husbands file. THERE, you can see if the judgment was renewed. You may have to physically visit each courthouse.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Most likely, but not definitely, they would have to show an inforce judgement to get the lien placed.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 30, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Judgement CREDITOR probably found that your husband/judgement debtor bought a house so they renewed the judgement and recorded it.

Pay it off ASAP as I can only imagine how much interest is owed on the original amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

12 year old judgement [ 6 Answers ]

Back in 1990 I went to a timeshare seminar and at the time I said yes but when I got home I said no. so I sent a certified letter of cancellation within the 72 hour period. A few months later they called about payment I told them I had sent a letter of cancellation they said they did not get it. So...

30 year old judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I had an auto accident in 1975 that resulted in $900 damage to someone's car. They got a judgement against me & a local attorney (Erie,Pa) filed it at the Prothonotary in 1977. Pa Dept of Motor Vehicles (PENDOT) subsequently suspended my driver license until the judgement was satisfied. Having...

15 year old judgement [ 5 Answers ]

In 1991 I lost my house under power of sale to a bank in which they obtained a judgement for the remainder. This bank had gone bankrupt and I had not heard anything since my last contact with them in 1992. Stupid as I may be, I had no idea what a judgement was. I assumed it died when the bank went...

View more questions Search