Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesshadow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Exterior french doors
    I am renovating a house that I just bought and want to put in french doors in place of an 8 foot patio slider. I am trying to price them online so that I know that the contractor is giving me an appropriate price-since I live about 2,000 miles from where the work is being done. I can't seem to find many prices and I am not sure what would be best for insulating... the house is in Michigan. Any help please? I am afraid that I may get ripped off with the work since I am so far away, any suggestions? He is also putting a roof on, a furnace in and a hot water heater. How do I monitor all this and make sure that the prices are good for these things??
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 31, 2007, 03:20 AM
    As for the door install, to install it should run more than 400 to 500 unless he has to replace some casing, plus the door.
    As for the roof I was thinking its $135 a square to be installed. Buts that in NC
    I know nothing of the funace and what that will run.
    As for keeping an eye out, your going to have to trust him or take some time off work to be there,
    Unless you have a friend that lives near the house to stop by every so often there's not a lot you can do. Hopefully you just didn't pic up the phone book and start calling numbers.
    However if you don't live there you may not have much choice, goodluck
    fizzlebent Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2007, 06:57 PM
    [QUOTE=glavine]as for the door install, to install it should run more than 400 to 500 unless he has to replace some casing, plus the door.

Yes I agree with glavine on the Install Price, some might be a bit higher and some might be a bit lower, but over all that is a good price by an experienced installer. Glavine I live in NC as well! :)
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Dec 4, 2007, 07:06 PM
    The price I quoted you is what I try and match with Lowe's and homedepot.
    3ft door , 4ft door, 5ft door are all $299
    6ft and 8ft are $400 to start, then extras like recasing the inside , or if you run into framing issues, which you will when you take out the 8ft slider, you'll have to get a french door that is close which you'll probably have to get something a little smaller and use a little bit bigger casing to cover the gap
    Tommyjo206 Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Dec 5, 2007, 12:48 PM
    I do work at Lowe's (10+ years in doors/windows) in central IL.
    I checked the price of a basic 8ft steel patio door - about $1000. Labor will range $400-500.
    Roof will be $41-$70 per square for materials and $100-$135 per square for labor/disposal.
    Hot water heater will range $250-$400 for the unit and $200 to install.
    All of the above can be done directly through Lowe's (or Home Depot). This can also be done over the phone with plastic. Both Lowe's and HD guarantee the work. If there is a problem, you do not need to get the contractor back, just call the store. Their labor is a bit higher but the convenience and peace of mind make up for it.
    Furnace will vary with size, efficiency, AC unit. Price should include 5-10 year warranty (parts and labor). Range is $2500-$4000. Lowe's is generally not in the furnace business (do not know of HD).
    The labor prices can all vary if there is extra work needed. This can easily happen with renovations.
    Glavins comments on how to monitor are correct. Working with Lowe's (or HD) can help since there is a guarantee.
    Let us know if this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Door hinges for exterior swinging doors [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where to actually purchase these door hinges for extetior swing. They do exist I got the info on the internet, but my local hardwares do not carry them. Thank you.

French Doors [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site and it looks pretty good to me. My French doors will not lock. I had foundation repaired. Also had the doors stained and waterproofed and locks won't match up. Who do I call, a Door repair person or a locksmith? Thanks Akia

Replacing French Doors [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have French Doors in my living room leading to the backyard that also includes a third stationary door that won't open. I'm attaching a rough picture of what it looks like. I would like to get rid of at least one of these and possibly even replace two so that there is just a single...

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

View more questions Search