Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggybrn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Cat Vaccinations
    My daughter just had to have her 2-year-old (previously healthy 23-pound) cat put to sleep. He was fine until she took him in two weeks ago to have a physical. They gave him distemper and rabies shots. Two days later he became lethargic, refused to eat and was just generally not himself. He spent a week at the vets. She was told he was diabetic. She learned how to check his sugars and administer insulin. She had him home for two days and then had to bring him back to the vets with a fever, was told he had some soft of infection, two days in the vets, back home, back to the vets that night, now two days later (last night) she was told she had to make the decision on whether to put him down or not.

My question is whether anyone else has experienced something like this and what reactions can be attributed to the vaccines
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 31, 2007, 02:10 PM
    I have been through a similar situation and I understand how you feel. Your cat is normal and healthy one day, then dead a few days later... It's heart-wrenching.

Like people, cats can have adverse reactions to common medications. Whether the vaccinations were a direct cause can probably only be determined through an autopsy.

In my case, I know the doctor and surgeon that tried to help my cat were doing the best they humanly could. They followed best practices, they did the best they could, but despite their efforts my cat died on the operating table.

Sometimes our loved ones are taken from us too soon.
    Your cat, like mine, deserved more time to love and be loved in this world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Newbie puppy owner.drinking,eating,vaccinations? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy! =] im only 17 and did to much moving around to actually sit down and raise a little puppy of of my own at first my little one wasnt eating or drinking but i learned that its just because she was new to the environment wich is true (for n e one thats having the same...

How important are vaccinations? [ 30 Answers ]

Okay, for all you dog experts. When I took my puppy boy to the vet for Rabies and Parvo, the doctor really pushed other vaccinations. I am curious if these are necessary for an indoor dog. He only goes outside to potty, for walks, and car rides, any other time he is in the house. I don't really...

Puppy Vaccinations in UK [ 1 Answers ]

Here puppies have 2 vaccinations about 2-3 weeks apart. So do they both contain the same ingredients and in the same amounts or not?

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search