Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KevinG Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 01:07 PM
    Metal vs. Wood stud walls
    Hi everyone,

I am planning our basement and would like to get anyone's opinion on using metal vs wood to do the framing. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and can be done in a more quick time frame.

I also did some research and the costs are identical right now. Any thoughts on this (Pro's and Con's would be appreciated)

Thanks in advance,

Keving
    dennis6 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2005, 08:58 PM
    Metal vs Wood
    Well metal studding would be straight(no warping like wood)and pre-drilled for wiring.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 15, 2005, 03:38 PM
    Compare the prices in your area between metal studs and 2x3 wood studs. I'm starting to use 2x3 studs when framing non-load bearing walls because they are cheaper than 2x4's & code allows it. Basically nothing you will frame will be load bearing in the basement. That's why there are beams or structural walls already installed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Metal and non metal temperature [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why metals are or appear to be colder than non metals?

Stud wall: Do I need cross pieces? [ 6 Answers ]

Just finished part1 of a Honeydo project: Stud wall 20' long with a door near one end. I'll do the drywall next weekend... Currently it's all vertical studs, with the exception of the horizontal above the pre-hung door. I'll be drywalling both sides. Are cross pieces necessary? Thanks!

Metal flange [ 4 Answers ]

My toilet was wobbling from side to side. We removed the toilet and found that they flange was not screwed to the floor. The flange is made out lead. Is there a way to fix the flange without having to remove the floor. Thanks

Wood or Metal framing for my basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am in the planning stages of finishing my basement. My question is whether I should use wood or metal for the stud walls. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and, while researching the price of lumber and the metal studs, I discovered that there...

Basement stud walls [ 4 Answers ]

I am beginning the process of finishing our walkout basement. One of the first challenges I have come across in laying out the walls is a number of plumbing and gas lines right at the top of the concrete exterior walls feeding the main and second story. The lines will prevent me from attaching...

View more questions Search