Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andreai Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 12:24 AM
    The right to take money owed to bank without notification
    Do banks have the right to take money out of your current bank account for money owed to a credit card held with them without notice, even if you are in arrears?
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Oct 30, 2007, 09:23 AM
    It depends on the bank's policies. In order to be authorized to do this, it would have to state in the terms and charges of the line of credit that they have permission to transfer funds from your deposit accounts to your revolving credit accounts if there is a past due balance. Most banks, including the one that I am employed by, have something to this extent listed in the paperwork for credit accounts.
    It happened to me, but I caused a stink over it. I had a line of credit with my bank, long past due (maybe if they paid me more, I wouldn't have that problem- lol!)- they transferred $60 from my checking to the line of credit without warning, causing about 5 other transactions to bounce, and leaving with me with upwards of $200.00 in service fees. After days of phone calls and trying to find the right way to present the problem to the dozens of managers I spoke with, most of the fees were refunded to my account.
    But they can totally zap you on things like that.
    That's why it's uber important to read all the paperwork they give you and keep it on hand for future reference. It's tedious, but worthwhile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which cour form for getting money owed? [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks to everyone again for all the helpful information regarding getting money owed to me by an individual. I cannot find the exact name of the court FORM I need to begin filing against this person. I have heard "petition" and "civil suit paperwork", etc. But I would like to try to find the...

This is about money owed a deceased person [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter owed my father 7ooo. She paid 2000. Of it and my father died a month later. My brother is trying to sue my daughter for this. I need a reference point to give to judge. Can anyone help me. I already paid 800. To a lawyer who says you cannot sue a family member for money lent. But I...

Collecting money owed [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a electrical contractor. We did work for a general contractor and did not file a pre lien. What legal rights do we have to collect the money. This has been dragging on for months. Can you push us in the right direction.

Money owed on condo improvements [ 12 Answers ]

I (foolishly) invested $13,000 in improvements in a condo with my fiancé (now EX-fiance). I also paid off a debt for $10,000 to his mother during the same time. He sold the condo and made a hefty profit but is refusing to pay me what I put into it or the money to his mother. No contract, nothing...

Am I liable for money owed? [ 15 Answers ]

I needed a temporary place to stay while going to school and a friend of mine had an apartment she was moving out of... but had a roommate. My friend took her name off the lease (but did not take the electricity out of her name) and so it was only the other girls name on the lease with no bills in...

View more questions Search