Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbkrams Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Tax benefits for hospitalization and medical expenses
    I work in US on an L1 visa. My wife is on L2. We are both considered residents from the tax point of view, as we were in US all year in 2007. This year, we had some medical and hospitalization expenses. One was when my wife was hospitalized for a few days during pregnancy, and secondly, she delivered a baby a few months later (both in 2007). We also had other medical expenses for our baby later. All of these were under the insurance scheme provided by my employer, and we had out-of-pocket expenses after insurance.

I have a few questions:

1) I would like to understand what kind of tax benefits I am eligible for, and how I can claim them.
    2) If I can, then will this be claimed under the itemized deductions?
    3) If yes, then if my standard deduction is more than these expenses, should I be claiming these at all, or am I mixing up something here?

Any input on this will be helpful.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 07:39 AM
    1-3) It is VERY difficult for you to claim medical expenses as a deduction if you file as a resident alien.

First, it is very likely that your medical insurance payments are being paid with pre-tax dollars, which make them ineligible to be claimed as tax deductions.

Second. Medical costs (co-payments. Deductibles, etc.) are deductible only to the extent that they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).

EXAMPLE: Your AGI is $100,000. You have total out-of-pocket expenses of $8,500. Since 7.5% of $100,000 is $7,500, only $1,000 is deductible as an itemized deduction.

Further, if these are your ONLY itemized deductions, they will not exceed your joint standard deduction, which, for 2007, is $10,600.

BOTTOM LINE: It is almost certain that you will NOT be able to deduct your medical expenses on your 2007 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get Tax benefits if my husband show as her spouse was on H4 during tax exemptio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My details: Name- deepti Status- married Visa- h4 My husband went to US from India on January 1 2007. I have also joined him. I am eager to know , will we able to get tax exemtions if he mention me as dependent . Our stay in US is till August 2007. Can we get some tax benefits.

Additional medical expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My husband's ex-wife is seeking additional medical expenses. In the divorce agreement, it doesn't say that he is responsible for any. There was an addition made to the child support payment equal to half of her insurance premium, because where he worked, health care coverage was not available. ...

Claiming medical expenses [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am itemizing my deductions. I have a doubt regarding claiming medical expenses. I paid for Co-pay during the last year which is less than 7.5% of my adjusted gross income. Can I claim these expenses in my taxes. I greatly appreciate your help.

Social security tax and medical tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The following is my visa status I came to us in aug 2002 under f1 visa and started my opt feb 2005 and I changed my visa to h1b (oct 2005). After going through the IRS website , I came to a conclusion that I am a non resident alien. So I decided to go with 1040NR-EZ. Now I have a...

Treaty tax benefits [ 3 Answers ]

This is really a great form. Thanks for answering all my questions. I was reading through some messages and came to know that I did a mistake while filing 2004 year returns. Here is my case: I came to US on H1 in 2003 and stayed for 257 days and filed my 2003 returns as Resident alien. I stayed...

View more questions Search