Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmainer13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Does all financial aid requirements include being registered with Selective Services? If so then a convicted felon will not have that opportunity. Is this true?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2007, 04:21 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Second, I don't recall regiostering for Selective Service being a requirement for financial aid at all.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
    My oldest son found out that a prerequisiste for financial aid was being registered at Selective Service - this was 3 years ago.

This from "Financial Aid Answers" -
    Selective Service Requirements For Financial Aid

To be considered for federal financial aid (and most state aid) through the FAFSA, men aged 18 through 25 must be registered with the Selective Service System. This requirement covers men residing in the United States who are U.S. citizens or noncitizens. However, there are a few exemptions to the requirement:

Males currently in the armed services and on active duty (this exception does not apply to members of the Reserve and National Guard who are not on active duty);
    Males who are not yet 18 at the time they complete their FAFSA (an update may be requested by the school);
    Males born before 1960;
    Citizens of the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Federate States of Micronesia, unless they have resided in the U.S. for at least one year for reasons other than a student or government employee;
    Noncitizens who first entered the U.S. after they turned 26;
    Noncitizens who entered the U.S. as lawful nonimmigrants on a valid visa and remained in the U.S. on the terms of that visa until after they turned 26.

There are several ways in which a male student can register for Selective Service:

Answer yes to the FASFA questions that asks if you want to be registered for Selective Service (must also answer that you are a male);
    Register online at the Selective Service Website;

Register at a federal post office
    When the FASFA is filed, a match is conducted with the student's FAFSA information (name, date of birth, SS#) and the Selective Service System. If the match is confirmed, no action needs to be taken by the student or financial aid office. If the match is not successful, the student will be notified via a comment on the Student Aid Report (and most likely by the school, too), and he must resolve the Selective Service registration problem before the financial aid office can certify loans or pay any federal student aid funds.

There is an agency that states they help those who have been convicted of a felony:
    https://sourcesforstudents.american-data.net/finanp.htm

Also read the following on Law to Aid Felons:
    Law to Aid Felons - News

An article about assistance:
    Google Answers: Grants/Scholarships for released felons
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 05:15 AM
    Hello t:

I'll bet a convicted felon can register with Selective Service.

excon
    famlee Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2007, 04:11 PM
    From what I gather, convicted felons are not exempt from registering with the selective service. If they are currently incarcerated then they do not have to register until they are released, if they are still within the age bracket.

Depending on what the felony conviction is for, even if they are registered for the selective services, they may still not be eligible for financial aid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial aid [ 2 Answers ]

I Am A College Student And I Am Unable To Get Funds For Computer And Books How Can I Get Some Funds For This I Have Tried Private Loans And Due To My Credit Situation I Am Unabe To Get A Loan What Can I Do.

Financial aid for son [ 4 Answers ]

I filed the federal financial aid form online for my son. I make too much for him to get a grant, but I filed bankruptcy ch 13. So my disposable income is tight for the next 5 years. Will this help him at all if I tell them?

Financial Aid [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother, and I want to get back into school. I recently applied for financial aid. Will I get it?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Need financial aid and grants! [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to go back to school and go into nursing. I have a son, and am a single mother. I know about the Pell grant... but are there any other grants that are available to someone like me. I am going to have to work only part time as I have my son full time and I need to go to school full...

Schlorship or financial aid [ 0 Answers ]

Any body who knows about schlorship or financial aid please give guidance.I am studying 7th standard in st. johnes hr secondary school tn state. I am from poor famiy my father expired long before.any body have suggestion ?

View more questions Search